Got a Compaq NX9000 and can't seem to do anything with it

I recently got a laptop it turns on well it doesnt boot up ive tried installing windows xp and nothing happens also ive tried wiping the hard drive using various disk erasers and nothing happens also tried using different hard drives but the xp disc ive got and the Dban and other disk erasers ive got only work when I take the hard drive out I really need help im baffled by it nothing seems to work when any hard drive is inserted?????? please help me

Neil065t, please do not start more than one thread on the same topic. I merged them.

I've literally tried everything but nothing works I'm starting to think its just the laptop that's broken beyond repair!!!

So it boots into bios? what happens when you just switch it on, does it post? when you say nothing hapend when you tried to install windows did you get it to boot from disk? into the windows xp install screen? is the charger original to the machine?

This laptop is hard to deal with. The bios flash just stopped and not resume. However, I have a work around to boot from CD (do not know about hdd, still waiting for caddy to install HDD). Boot it from floppy disk and it works, there are some good floppy boot manager out there.

If you can go into bios, try to see hdd manufacturer.

if hdd is made by Seagate, download discwizard for windows (then create a bootable iso and burn created iso to cd) or discwizard bootable iso (burn to cd)
seagate discwizard can 'initialize' the hdd for OS installation. it can format/reformat Seagate hdds. format/reformat will destroy all data on the hdd.
if the hdd is made by other manufacturers, then use the specific formatting utility.

in your case, you have a windows xp installer and you tried to install it using the laptop's internal cd-rom drive.
there is a possibility that the cd-rom drive is defective such that it cannot read any cd in the drive.

if you have an external cd/dvd-rom drive, try to use it instead of the internal cd-rom drive.

if you can rule out a defective cd-rom drive, try to use other windows OS installer like windows xp sp3 with integrated sata driver, windows 7/8/8.1, Ubuntu OS.

if you don't have a spare external cd/dvd-rom drive, try to use a bootable usb installer.

windows 7/8.x, Ubuntu can be installed using bootable usb installer.
you will need a 4gb usb flash drive. (8gb is much better but it's your choice)

there are many tutorials on the net regarding how to create a bootable usb installer for the OS you prefer.

Back