Got links?

K

Kurupt

Lately I've been trying to brush up on my troubleshooting skills and such. I was wondering if anyone out there has any sites they know of that teach you how to troubleshoot system problems. If anyone has anything related, please reply. :)

you can check the guides section here, they work pretty okay, seems that most of them were put up by tedster, but anyway yeah umm. I'll post some that i have

I just wanted to learn how to help out other people with common problems such as power issues and I dunno, a lot of the things that the more advanced users help with on these forums. Sounds silly but I need to learn more about computers, and I like helpin' out around here. I know the basics, enough to get by.

oh okay, you didnt tell me you knew the basics, one of the mods could help you out with a more in depth link maybe.

tinker around with your pc.. just make sure the power's turned off lol...

If you're a practical person like me, fiddling and learning what each parts do (by way of google, wikipedia, asking people, or trying it yourself) is the best way to learn how to troubleshoot.

Places to find solutions, usually reside in google, microsoft's knowledge base, some threads here and other forums.

It really depends on what field you want to learn? security, networking, hardware, software, OS, code, internet etc...

I was in your boat about 4 years ago.

I really suggest (if you can get a few bucks together) getting a book. If you want to learn basic software and hardware repair, get any book for the A+ exam by compTIA. The A+ exam is the most basic repair certification, and why you dont have to get certified by any means the book will teach you the skills you are looking for.
This book is the one I used (well mine was an older edition) Read it front to back, study it, and you can learn alot more than a site can teach you.

Best of Luck

Sean

N3051M: Yeah I've done that some.. I have a little personal experience there.
I'd like to know a little bit about every field really.

AtK SpAdE: Yeah I could definitely buy that book. Thanks.

For more advanced troubleshooting RE: Domains, mail records, SPAM blacklists, reverse DNS look-ups, check out http://www.dnsstuff.com

I hit that site up a couple of times a day. Very useful.

Run look-ups on all sorts of domains, maybe even your companies.
It might be a lil too much to take in though ...

i'd agree on a good book to read on.. but since i'm not a book person i'm afraid i don't have any titles to refer you to..

how i've learnt on troubleshooting was just hitting the New posts button up the top and reading up on any threads that looked interesting.. there's a few things you can pick up from scenario like reading.. and lots of times they have the same solution and troubleshooting methods..

The best way to learn is hands on experience. Offer someone to repair there computer (if it is broken of course). Troubleshoot using parts from another computer. If there is no power, no lights, ect, trying swapping out the psu. If the mobo lights up, but doesnt turn on, try swapping out the ram....You will see how much you will learn from doing this..i sometimes find the problem was as simple as it wasn't grounded, or a cable (usually led) wasn't plugged in properly.

*nods* I think I'm going to buy that book, and hands on experience is also a good way to go of course.

the book is a good 1000 pages and covers every component, what it does and how to fix it and covers OS trouble shooting and skims on networking problems.

The way I learned to work on hardware was when I was waay back in 8th grade, I got the oldest Pentium I computer that I could find for free, and I just tore it apart, looked at everything and put it back together and got it running on my own with minimal instructions. Never underestimate the power of just figuring it out on your own by hands on experience.

Back