Got no sound

ComputerNoobies

Hello pro~~ My Pc got no sound icon and no sound. When i when to control panel and the i cant click on the volume icon It say no audio device. What shall i do? By the way i am using window xp right now

Are you using a Desktop Tower or Laptop? Has the sound ever worked, or have you changed anything, hardware or software lately? If you just bought the PC or don't know, type into the 'Search' box, " dxdiag " Press 'enter'. When the info appears, click on the 'Sound1' and 'Sound2' tabs. Do you see any information?
It will tell you what sound devices you have installed.

Are you using a Desktop Tower or Laptop? Has the sound ever worked, or have you changed anything, hardware or software lately? If you just bought the PC or don't know, type into the 'Search' box, dxdiag Press 'enter'. When the info appears, click on the 'Sound1' and 'Sound2' tabs. Do you see any information?
It will tell you what sound devices you have installed.

Mike is say No sound card was found. If 1one is expected you shall install a sound driver provided why the manufacter. I am not sure do i have a sound card. i am using a destop. I think it has sound before. Last thing on the sound page Under device and driver it show no device ID, version etc....

Ok, so you have a desktop PC, but no separate sound card? If you turn the computer round and look at the back, can you see 3 round sockets? 1 pink, 1 green and 1 blue. If you can, you will need to plug some computer speakers into the green and blue sockets. See what happens after you have done that.

So I assume you have plugged some computer speakers into the blue and green sockets? And if they have a mains plug, you plug that in too. You may see a small light come on, on one of the speakers. Most computers do have a sound chip built-in, but it could be turned off in the settings. As you have the 3 sockets on the back of your pc, I would say you do have a sound chip. So you will need to restart the pc, and get into the BIOS pages and switch the 'on-board' sound 'on'. You may know how to do that?

So I assume you have plugged some computer speakers into the blue and green sockets? And if they have a mains plug, you plug that in too. You may see a small light come on, on one of the speakers. Most computers do have a sound chip built-in, but it could be turned off in the settings. As you have the 3 sockets on the back of your pc, I would say you do have a sound chip. So you will need to restart the pc, and get into the BIOS pages and switch the 'on-board' sound 'on'. You may know how to do that?

What is BIOS pages and switch on-board sound on?

I have to assume that your PC has an on-board sound chip, and that it is turned off, by someone else, a previous owner maybe? (because it had a better quality card, which has been taken out ?). You have to restart the PC, and as soon as it starts, press F2. ( If you can tell me what brand or make of PC you have, I can tell you more.) You should then see a Blue screen, or black screen, with white text. Your mouse will not work here. If you read at the bottom of the screen, you will read which keys you can use. Normally they are; arrow keys (up, down, left ,right) enter, page up, page down, & esc. You look on the left side of the screen, or tabs at the top, for 'on-board devices'. Move down to that option, press 'enter', look for 'integrated audio'. Move up or down with the arrow keys, press 'enter' when you are on the right line. You should see 'off' & 'on'. If it is 'off' then you change it to 'on'. Press 'esc'. Press F11. The computer should restart and you should have sound. Be careful to read the instructions on the screen, don't rush this, it should work if it is the problem.

I have to assume that your PC has an on-board sound chip, and that it is turned off, by someone else, a previous owner maybe? (because it had a better quality card, which has been taken out ?). You have to restart the PC, and as soon as it starts, press F2. ( If you can tell me what brand or make of PC you have, I can tell you more.) You should then see a Blue screen, or black screen, with white text. Your mouse will not work here. If you read at the bottom of the screen, you will read which keys you can use. Normally they are; arrow keys (up, down, left ,right) enter, page up, page down, & esc. You look on the left side of the screen, or tabs at the top, for 'on-board devices'. Move down to that option, press 'enter', look for 'integrated audio'. Move up or down with the arrow keys, press 'enter' when you are on the right line. You should see 'off' & 'on'. If it is 'off' then you change it to 'on'. Press 'esc'. Press F11. The computer should restart and you should have sound. Be careful to read the instructions on the screen, don't rush this, it should work if it is the problem.

The only thing i know is my Pc brand is acer, window xp.

Mike i have done what you said. It not working. As you know By right The bottom right on the desktop should have a volume icon to control the volume, it is not there.

2nd i went to control panel , and click Sound and audio devices , is said no audio devices found.

OK, so you have tried the BIOS settings? And I hope you found the 'on board devices' and 'integrated audio'. If you go to 'Control panel' , 'system', 'hardware', 'device manager', can you see a line that shows audio devices? I have saved a screen of what it should look like in XP, see below.
So you have an Acer, so if you want to know more about it, try this:
'Start', click on 'Run'. in the box type 'msinfo32' OK . A new window will open.
On the left you will see a list of all the areas of your pc. It is a list of details about the parts that make up your PC. Click on the plus + of 'components' and then 'sound device'. That will tell you if you have a sound option on your PC. Does it show any devices? Of course it is possible you don't have any sound chip. But you can buy and fit a board for a few £
that will work with your system.

Attachments

• device_m_xp.JPG
    device_m_xp.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 4
Take A Look At This
untitled-1.jpg

You might also try this..

What model Acer is it? You should go to Acer support site, find your model and locate Realtek audio driver for your PC so you can download it
> Look in Ctl Panel->Add Remove/Programs for Realtek entry and uninstall it from there
> Then download the driver from Acer and reinstall

You might also try this..

What model Acer is it? You should go to Acer support site, find your model and locate Realtek audio driver for your PC so you can download it
> Look in Ctl Panel->Add Remove/Programs for Realtek entry and uninstall it from there
> Then download the driver from Acer and reinstall

Thx i will try it currently going off. thxthx

If you only have a missing driver, then the Acer website should be able to give you a link to get the right one. With manufacturers sites, you have to select the exact model of PC you are using, from 'drop down boxes', so I hope you now have the type and number of your Acer from the 'msinfo32' page. If you did an install of Windows XP, then all the 'third party' drivers will be missing. But the Acer website can supply them, as long as you know what the details of your PC are. Hope it works now !! If you still don't get a working driver, try the free version of 'Drivereasy', www.drivereasy.com It will scan your pc and tell you what is missing. You can download the missing drivers from there, but it will be slow. So I would write down the driver names and go each makers site, get them from there.

If you only have a missing driver, then the Acer website should be able to give you a link to get the right one. With manufacturers sites, you have to select the exact model of PC you are using, from 'drop down boxes', so I hope you now have the type and number of your Acer from the 'msinfo32' page. If you did an install of Windows XP, then all the 'third party' drivers will be missing. But the Acer website can supply them, as long as you know what the details of your PC are. Hope it works now !! If you still don't get a working driver, try the free version of 'Drivereasy', www.drivereasy.com It will scan your pc and tell you what is missing. You can download the missing drivers from there, but it will be slow. So I would write down the driver names and go each makers site, get them from there.

My can give me the link of acer veriton 3700g. I cant find T.T

I just happened to be online and saw your last post... if i may help with the download

1) You should be able to find your model on the Acer site here

2) I looked it up myself and found this Realtek download. (did you uninstall Realtek from add/remove first?)

btw... That drivereasy tool that mike recommends is also pretty handy. i've tried it a few times since i first saw his recommendation :)

Back