Government requests for Facebook user data up 21% during first half of year

midian182

Staff member

Facebook has just released its bi-annual transparency report, which shows, among other things, all the data requests it received in the first half of this year. Once again, requests for account information have risen, jumping 21 percent compared to the previous six-month period.

Worldwide, Facebook received requests from law enforcement agencies asking for users’ personal data 78,890 times. In the second half of last year, that figure stood at 64,276.

There was an even steeper rise in the US—25 percent—as the number of requests jumped from 26,014 to 32,716. The social network says it has complied with 85 percent of these.

The US actually leads the way when it comes to number of data requests, accounting for 41 percent of the total number. Next was India with 12 percent, then the UK (9 percent), Germany (7 percent), and France (6 percent).

Additionally, Facebook Deputy General Counsel Chris Sonderby wrote that 57 percent of the worldwide requests came with non-disclosure orders forbidding the firm from notifying subjects that they were being investigated. That number's also up, from 50 percent in the previous report.

Facebook has published five previously undisclosed National Security Letters (NSLs) in its report, too. These orders enable US authorities such as the FBI to secretly acquire information from companies about their customers without requiring a warrant.

For the first time, Facebook is monitoring intellectual property reports. The social network revealed that it received 224,464 copyright complaints, with 68 percent actioned on and 1.8 million pieces of content “actioned.” There were also over 110,000 pieces of Facebook content removed for trademark infringement, over 37,000 posts removed from Instagram for the same reason, and 14,279 counterfeit reports.

Permalink to story.

I would hope that during an application for a security clearance that the government would make a request for the data especially for individuals requiring access to the higher designated/classified materials

I tell all of my friends and family that online and privacy are not compatible terms. That goes for any internet connected device or stored information.

I tell all of my friends and family that online and privacy are not compatible terms. That goes for any internet connected device or stored information.

Or, ya know, don't put private information on a platform that guarantees to monetize it. What you're telling your friends is false, you can secure any device. You're just too lazy to do so.

Or, ya know, don't put private information on a platform that guarantees to monetize it. What you're telling your friends is false, you can secure any device. You're just too lazy to do so.

He wasn't talking about any "device", he was talking about the Internet. Facebook isn't a device, it's an intel front for data acquisition. We can tell that even further by the data presented in this article - this is the police checking in with the CIA to spy on people. It's not the police checking in with an actual, real company.

He wasn't talking about any "device", he was talking about the Internet. Facebook isn't a device, it's an intel front for data acquisition. We can tell that even further by the data presented in this article - this is the police checking in with the CIA to spy on people. It's not the police checking in with an actual, real company.

His words

"That goes for any internet connected device"

So before you "correct" someone, make sure you read it right in the first place.

His words

"That goes for any internet connected device"

So before you "correct" someone, make sure you read it right in the first place.

I understand that, but tell us how any device settings you could possibly use while using Facebook would make any difference to the site data itself. You're a pro. Let's hear it.

I understand that, but tell us how any device settings you could possibly use while using Facebook would make any difference to the site data itself. You're a pro. Let's hear it.

Ad-blocker, script-blocker, disconnect. For your browser flag "do not track", use strict cookie settings, and force https.

"You're a pro. Let's hear it"

Someone here has got to be. Much better than the guy giving snippy retorts and jumping to conclusions.

Simply yet another reason I am glad I stopped using facebook and blocked their domain.

Ad-blocker, script-blocker, disconnect. For your browser flag "do not track", use strict cookie settings, and force https.

Someone here has got to be. Much better than the guy giving snippy retorts and jumping to conclusions.
At least until HTTPS is compromised, or until one of your anti script or anti adblock plugins is found selling your data, or until you find out the websites you are visiting are selling your data, or the firmware on your device is compromised, ece.

And if your device is android, iOS, or windows based, you have already lost.

Thank you kindly. It's nice to know finally how doing things that have nothing to do with Facebook's blatant Langleyness will help keep our privacy in our own hands, and keep predatory law enforcement agencies from using whatever we post, reply, or do on Facebook actually private. I'm impressed.

Thank you kindly. It's nice to know finally how doing things that have nothing to do with Facebook's blatant Langleyness will help keep our privacy in our own hands, and keep predatory law enforcement agencies from using whatever we post, reply, or do on Facebook actually private. I'm impressed.

lol, I answer your question and you came back with a strawman. GG

Back