Grand Theft Auto V coming to PC, Xbox One and PS4 this fall

Scorpus

Staff member

After much anticipation over the past year, Rockstar Games has confirmed at E3 2014 that Grand Theft Auto V will be coming to PC and 'next-generation' consoles this fall.

GTA V launched on September 13 last year on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, shortly before the launches of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. At the time, many gamers were wondering why Rockstar didn't wait to launch on 'next-gen' consoles as well, or if they'd ever see the critically acclaimed game on the much more powerful systems.

An even larger portion of gamers were devastated when the PC wasn't announced as a launch platform for the hugely popular title. A petition to bring GTA V to PC gathered over close to 730,000 signatures, so the impending launch of the game should satisfy a lot of people.

There's no exact launch date for Grand Theft Auto V on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 at this stage, aside from the 'Fall 2014' timeframe given in the trailer below. Graphically the game looks excellent, with the footage in the trailer being captured on a PlayStation 4 at 1080p; it should look even better on a suitably powerful gaming PC.

Now let's just hope that Rockstar has put time into the PC port of the game, and that we won't get a version as horribly unoptimized as Grand Theft Auto IV. With both new consoles using x86-based harware, it shouldn't be hard to get GTA V looking great and running smoothly on PCs as well.

Permalink to story.

These next gens and todays PC's have the horsepower to really wow people with a game like GTA V if enough TLC was put into the port (what else were they doing for a year?) then this game could almost be a new experience for the people who got it on the last gen systems.

These next gens and todays PC's have the horsepower to really wow people with a game like GTA V if enough TLC was put into the port (what else were they doing for a year?) then this game could almost be a new experience for the people who got it on the last gen systems.

The latest gen consoles have almost enough power to play the original Crysis in all of its PC glory, I don’t expect they will be wowing anyone with ground-breaking graphics.

Looked pretty good at the Sony E3 Conference. I wouldn't say graphics are superior to modern games, but it doesn't look dated either. I would expect Rockstar to use higher resolution textures compared to the 360/PS3 versions, but besides that, and higher resolution/frame rate, I doubt it'd be any different.

Looked pretty good at the Sony E3 Conference. I wouldn't say graphics are superior to modern games, but it doesn't look dated either. I would expect Rockstar to use higher resolution textures compared to the 360/PS3 versions, but besides that, and higher resolution/frame rate, I doubt it'd be any different.

Trailer seemed to show a much higher traffic density as well.

Maybe. I never played it myself, just watched a friend play it. I've been waiting for the PC version to "eventually" come out, however the game looked amazing for a last gen game. Like Halo 4, and The Last of Us, not much needs to be done to make those games look next gen. I'm mostly interested in Halo 3. Sounds like that game's getting the shaft. Halo 3 looked terrible at launch, using the old Halo 2 engine.

The latest gen consoles have almost enough power to play the original Crysis in all of its PC glory, I don’t expect they will be wowing anyone with ground-breaking graphics.

Really? Was your Crysis on xbox 360 a special version? I will admit it did looked good, but after a year of optimization any game could look good (mobile gaming comes to mind). But it was still 720p upscaled, and was dx9. My system form 2011 blew away what the 360 version looked like, had them both on the same screen and would switch back and fourth, the PC was ahead(and my system is moderate). But Crysis is not a heavy CPU game, though open world not a lot AI to deal with. Games like GTA and watch dogs where your in a city and trying to simulate a city like environment with AI you need a lot of CPU and the last gens just don't got it. Everyone I know that saw the GTA V trailers in Sony's PC said it was vastly improved over the PS3 version, and traffic density was noticed so where lighting. I have been waiting to see if it was coming to PC before diving in.

For the crysis argument this video has always done a great job of showing the difference and just how un-amazing the Crysis Console Graphics were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_1mcnH2yQ
PC's not even maxing the game out(mine couldn't either)

Really? Was your Crysis on xbox 360 a special version? I will admit it did looked good, but after a year of optimization any game could look good (mobile gaming comes to mind). But it was still 720p upscaled, and was dx9. My system form 2011 blew away what the 360 version looked like, had them both on the same screen and would switch back and fourth, the PC was ahead(and my system is moderate). But Crysis is not a heavy CPU game, though open world not a lot AI to deal with. Games like GTA and watch dogs where your in a city and trying to simulate a city like environment with AI you need a lot of CPU and the last gens just don't got it. Everyone I know that saw the GTA V trailers in Sony's PC said it was vastly improved over the PS3 version, and traffic density was noticed so where lighting. I have been waiting to see if it was coming to PC before diving in.

For the crysis argument this video has always done a great job of showing the difference and just how un-amazing the Crysis Console Graphics were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_1mcnH2yQ
PC's not even maxing the game out(mine couldn't either)

I think you are agreeing with me right? Even though you quoted my post and seem to be talking about Crysis which is the game I used to make my point.

Finally. It's high time I get to play the game although I won't be falling for any pre-order incentive stuff and worthless give away's, I'll wait for the dust to settle, patches to be released and most importantly, wait for it to go on special then I'll climb in. I've waited so long that another couple of months makes no difference to me.

Last edited:
I think you are agreeing with me right? Even though you quoted my post and seem to be talking about Crysis which is the game I used to make my point.

Sounds like it, or he thought you were saying the new systems aren't much better than last gen graphically. Not exactly sure.

Finally! This is awesome news, truly looking forward to playing this game the way it was meant to be played, on the PC, I hope the multi-player carries across properly to PC, me and my friends could have some fun with this!

I noticed that, and higher pedestrian population - either a good or bad thing, especially with mental state trait in multiplayer...xD

honestly I think ill be getting a next gen console at some point instead of picking this up for PC, at least at this point in time anyway. ive been playing it on my 360 and the amount of aliasing as well as render distances as been killing me.

GTA 5 was impressive on the old consoles , I couldn't handle the framerate dips though , look forward to what I assume will be a more smooth Pc and new console version , play it how it was meant to be played.

Also for those who are wondering, yes your GTA Online character will be transferable to any of the next gen / PC from any of the old consoles.

I loved gta 4 and it sh!ts on gta 5 which has a bunch of repulsive and annoying characters. the satire of disgusting LA people is interesting but spending dozens of hours with them playing this game is not fun or funny. rockstar should be ashamed of themselves

I loved gta 4 and it sh!ts on gta 5 which has a bunch of repulsive and annoying characters. the satire of disgusting LA people is interesting but spending dozens of hours with them playing this game is not fun or funny. rockstar should be ashamed of themselves
Yeah, Rockstar should be ashamed of themselves cause you don't like the game while millions of other people do. I don't know how they have the guts to release such awful and boring game, shame on them!

Yeah, Rockstar should be ashamed of themselves cause you don't like the game while millions of other people do. I don't know how they have the guts to release such awful and boring game, shame on them!

/clap

honestly I think ill be getting a next gen console at some point instead of picking this up for PC, at least at this point in time anyway. ive been playing it on my 360 and the amount of aliasing as well as render distances as been killing me.

So the draw distance is bugging you on the 360, you have the choice of getting it on PC or a next gen console, so your going to choose the next gen console as the ultimate choice for longest draw distance? Really?

So the draw distance is bugging you on the 360, you have the choice of getting it on PC or a next gen console, so your going to choose the next gen console as the ultimate choice for longest draw distance? Really?
I dont have a $300 CPU or a $300 graphics card, and a console is cheaper than those plus the rest of the hardware. Also, static hardware will mean you honestly wont get much much higher draw distances on PCs, especially since the game was designed for last gen to begin with, the one and PS4 should do great.

But hey, PC is master race, and im not a real gamer because id rather have the convenience of a console over the superiority of a $1000 PC, so its whatev.

Also, I dont care about best draw distance, I just want usable draw distance. Light poles show up 20 feet in front of you if you are driving quickly (which I guess is more load times, but if draw distance is longer, things load sooner) which is unusable.

I dont have a $300 CPU or a $300 graphics card, and a console is cheaper than those plus the rest of the hardware. Also, static hardware will mean you honestly wont get much much higher draw distances on PCs, especially since the game was designed for last gen to begin with, the one and PS4 should do great.

But hey, PC is master race, and im not a real gamer because id rather have the convenience of a console over the superiority of a $1000 PC, so its whatev.

Also, I dont care about best draw distance, I just want usable draw distance. Light poles show up 20 feet in front of you if you are driving quickly (which I guess is more load times, but if draw distance is longer, things load sooner) which is unusable.
The way you said it sounded like you already had a gaming PC and you were deciding which way to go :confused:

Your probably right, GTA5 won't be much better graphically on PC. But GTA San Andreas was designed for PS2/Xbox back then, and the PC version had a much superior draw distance, it was over triple the PS2 could do.

I understand the latest gen consoles are closer to PC's than their predecessors, So I bet it won't be such a big difference. What I was trying to say was, If you already had a gaming PC, why on earth would you go out and buy a console to play a game that is superior on PC?

I would also like to argue your point of the price, Latest Gen Consoles cost quite a bit once you factor in extra controllers, cables, Headsets and the fact the games cost quite a bit and you cannot play any of your last gen games in them, Price shouldn't be mentioned when comparing a console to a gaming PC purely because the PC is flexible, you can build one based on how much money your willing to spend, this you cannot do with a console.

The way you said it sounded like you already had a gaming PC and you were deciding which way to go :confused:

Your probably right, GTA5 won't be much better graphically on PC. But GTA San Andreas was designed for PS2/Xbox back then, and the PC version had a much superior draw distance, it was over triple the PS2 could do.

I understand the latest gen consoles are closer to PC's than their predecessors, So I bet it won't be such a big difference. What I was trying to say was, If you already had a gaming PC, why on earth would you go out and buy a console to play a game that is superior on PC?

I would also like to argue your point of the price, Latest Gen Consoles cost quite a bit once you factor in extra controllers, cables, Headsets and the fact the games cost quite a bit and you cannot play any of your last gen games in them, Price shouldn't be mentioned when comparing a console to a gaming PC purely because the PC is flexible, you can build one based on how much money your willing to spend, this you cannot do with a console.
When it comes to current gen gaming, PCs become quite a bit less flexible.
Ive got a GTX 660, but my CPU and ram are still from 2007 and bottleneck the crap out of anything recent.

For me, I just feel like id rather play on a consistent experience on a console than play a game on PC in medium graphics with constantly fluctuating frame rates and having to deal with input lag that so constantly plagues me in most recent games even with aim acceleration and such turned off. It doesnt sound like a big deal to some people, but it bothers me.

Price of headsets, keyboards, decent mice, and such factors into the PC equation too - also, I will keep my last gen console, even due to the inconvenience.
Honestly the other big factor for me is the fact that all my friends are on consoles and I primarily play it with the,.

Back