Grand Theft Auto V is 2013's best-selling video game

Scorpus

Staff member

It probably won't come as a surprise to you, considering the sales success of the title, but Grand Theft Auto V is the best-selling video game of 2013. Take-Two Interactive, the parent company of GTA developer Rockstar Games, revealed this piece of information (with help from NPD) in their latest financial earnings report, while also boasting that they sold more than 32.5 million GTA V copies to date.

The extremely popular video game raked in $800 million in sales on its first day, going on to post $1 billion in sales in under three days. Both achievements helped Grand Theft Auto V and Rockstar Games pick up seven Guinness World Records, including 'best selling video game in 24 hours', and 'fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion'.

Currently Grand Theft Auto V is only available on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, however it seems a PC version is coming shortly as evidence mounts around the internet. Whether or not the game will be ported to 'next-gen' consoles, though, is a little more unclear, but Rockstar could stand to sell even more were an Xbox One/PS4 edition launched.

With GTA V taking out the best-selling video game of 2013, what game will take the runner up spot? It'll likely go to Activision's Call of Duty: Ghosts, as the tenth installment of the ever-popular series was the best-selling next-gen console game, and without the release of GTA V, would almost certainly have taken top spot on the sales chart.

Permalink to story.

They wouldn't need a PC version if I read this right (not saying they shouldn't make a port though) .

I'm a PC gamer, but a big GTA fan. I bought the PS3/GTA5 bundle, then I returned it after completing the game. I'll buy my permanent copy once it is released on PC.

...and I still know people who haven't played it.

It's a good game. I had a great time in the single player story-line with it. Online's been ok, but that's not what I look for in a game these days.

I'm a PC gamer, but a big GTA fan. I bought the PS3/GTA5 bundle, then I returned it after completing the game. I'll buy my permanent copy once it is released on PC.
Your not a GTA fan if you did that. That's rude and disrespectful to game companies to buy something like a game then return it after completing it with a loop hole because its a console edition.

It's a good game. I had a great time in the single player story-line with it. Online's been ok, but that's not what I look for in a game these days.
Indeed, I have alot of fun with the game in general after beating it just messing around or doing the side missions as each character. The online was rough and still does not have a full Heist system like was promised but its quite fun at times.

Im glad this game was the best selling of 2013 and not the rinse and repeat franchises like previously.

That's just selfish behavior. Many of the people of Walmart have this same mentality... get it from Walmart, use it for a little while (because that's all I need) and then return it and get my money back. I'm not defending Walmart but I am condemning that type of selfish behavior.

That's just selfish behavior. Many of the people of Walmart have this same mentality... get it from Walmart, use it for a little while (because that's all I need) and then return it and get my money back. I'm not defending Walmart but I am condemning that type of selfish behavior.
Its especially concerning to me when it involves game companies because while some do not have as bad of problem with stuff like this there are some who struggle deeply even when making amazing games same with any product.

Some companies are exceptions of course, but in general this type of behavior hurts the market more than anything and I could not agree more with you because I see this all the time.

32.5 millions?, and others big, and awesome, games doesn't reach 2 millions.

I wouldn't have been surprised if it had broke $1B if they had released it for PC the same time. Even if they had to wait until 2014 to have the PC version running solid and did a simultaneous release on all platforms, they probably would have accomplished similar numbers except in 2014. I'm not an expert or anything but it seems reasonable.

I haven't played GTA 5, im a PC gamer.

I'm one of them and if it doesn't make it to PC it will remain so. I'm not wasting a penny on any console just to play games no matter how good they are.

I'm one of them and if it doesn't make it to PC it will remain so. I'm not wasting a penny on any console just to play games no matter how good they are.

same here. I ain't gonna spend anything to buy console just to play GTA 5.

PC GTA 5 or no GTA 5.

Back