Graphics card problem

Not sure if its the monitor or video card that has a problem.

This has happened to my desktop PC many times already. While using the computer, the monitor would just disconnect (not shut down) and turn black. After restart,the monitor returns back to normal. After a few minutes then the screen turns black again. I doubt that the monitor has connection problems, probably the video card?

Check your power management settings in windows 8/10, make sure hibernate and sleep mode is disabled.
If not enable that tell power management settings to turn off the monitor after 5 hours or never.
Also you're system specs would help so we can know what we're dealing with while troubleshooting your pc.

Check your power management settings in windows 8/10, make sure hibernate and sleep mode is disabled.
If not enable that tell power management settings to turn off the monitor after 5 hours or never.
Also you're system specs would help so we can know what we're dealing with while troubleshooting your pc.
Thanks!

Intel Core i5 4460 8 GB RAM
Windows 10 pro 64 bit Build 17134
Nvidia GT730

monitor disconnects at any time. But I really doubt its monitor problem because whenever I restart it works fine

I did what you recommended sleep mode disabled. Do you mean I should either set the turn off monitor to 5 hours or never, as the only two options? Are there also similar problems with other people?

Set sleep mode to never, also check the menu for hibernate and disable it.
You click apply then click on ok for the settings to take effect, if it doesn't happen again usually thats a windows issue.

Check your event viewer for any errors. Click this for help on that.

Your video card drivers could be crashing. Your video card could be over heating. The event viewer will help you determine what it could be depending on what the error actually is (if there is even an error).

If it is the drivers, uninstall current drivers completely and use DDU to help completely remove old drivers. DDU is not necessary but recommended if you are having driver issues.

If the card is over heating, make sure the GPU's cooler is free of dirt, dust, and debris. Check to see if the fan is actually spinning when the computer is on. Also check your intake and exhaust for excessive dust and dirt.

Are you doing any OCing ? Also how did this problem start and when. Could be video card. Are you able to play games or that crashes too ?

Back