Motherboard
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model 1494 (SOCKET 0)

Graphics

NVIDIA NVS 300
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Model NVS 300
GPU GT218

I am not a huge gamer but like to play the odd game and wish to upgrade the graphics card as it somewhat slow for the more modern games. I would be grateful for any recommendations?

cliffordcooley

TS Redneck
I have a feeling your PSU will be an issue. Please make sure your PSU is strong enough to handle which ever card you choose to go with.

You have a wide range of cards that would be an upgrade to the one you have. I just checked benchmarks for your card. The GTS 450 is a better gaming card. I'm currently using a GTX 660, and even it is dated.

If I was to buy another card today. It would be a 10xx, 16xx, or 20xx series card. I would choose to skip the 7xx, and 9xx series cards. Since you are not a huge gamer. I would aim for the 50 or 60 tier (such as the 1050 or 1060).

I'm not an AMD fan. So I'm not upto date on comparable AMD cards. Surely someone else will join in with AMD recommendations.

siganm

TS Rookie
I have a feeling your PSU will be an issue. Please make sure your PSU is strong enough to handle which ever card you choose to go with.

You have a wide range of cards that would be an upgrade to the one you have. I just checked benchmarks for your card. The GTS 450 is a better gaming card. I'm currently using a GTX 660, and even it is dated.

If I was to buy another card today. It would be a 10xx, 16xx, or 20xx series card. I would choose to skip the 7xx, and 9xx series cards. Since you are not a huge gamer. I would aim for the 50 or 60 tier (such as the 1050 or 1060).

I'm not an AMD fan. So I'm not upto date on comparable AMD cards. Surely someone else will join in with AMD recommendations.
Thank you very helpful

neeyik

TS Evangelist
Staff member
The Nvidia NVS 300 draws around 20W of power, so if the power supply unit wasn't designed to offer much headroom (to allow upgrades, for example) then the choices are going to be limited. That said, even something like an AMD Radeon 550 (which draws around 50W) should still work in that PC, and perform much better than the NVS.

Another thing to note is that the NVS 300 is a low profile card and the PC case may not allow a normal height graphics card.

siganm

TS Rookie
The Nvidia NVS 300 draws around 20W of power, so if the power supply unit wasn't designed to offer much headroom (to allow upgrades, for example) then the choices are going to be limited. That said, even something like an AMD Radeon 550 (which draws around 50W) should still work in that PC, and perform much better than the NVS.

Another thing to note is that the NVS 300 is a low profile card and the PC case may not allow a normal height graphics card.
Once again thank you. I think the case should provide more than enough headroom, nevertheless I shall open her up to check and to ascertain which PSU is in there and what power headroom I have. I had not thought of either of these points really, so I am grateful for the pointers.