Grr; dislike new drop down search

D

DelJo63

forced to deal with drop down with FB, Twidder & Share buttons with topic lookup
as soon as I scroll from th top of a forum.

heck, it's even present while writting this post.

the Ballon is the primary issue as it covers readable page data

ugly! :frown:

It can be annoying, can't it? There is a "Hide" button on the far left of the bar.

every time I view a new page? - - you got to be kidding :wave:

I only have to do it once. Even when I return to TechSpot if I'm still logged on, the setting is retained. I'm using Firefox 3.6.8.

guess it was a caching issue; logout/in at least stops that ballon drop down

:wave:

It also pops up a box right over where the Thread Tools are- looks like it reading some of the posts in the box. D... thing is back up there again! I'm going to kill it!

It says 'hide apture bar' but only holds for that 1 page for me.

Hello Julio???

That 'box' that pops up is a search box that says Explore on the top. I went to highlight and copy a word and the d.... box poped up! Oh my this is awful!

Hey guys, on the positive side of things I must admit it pleases me that this is a change you've noticed immediately, heh... I can't tell you how many times I've made minor changes to the site that no one else seems to notice.

Now... about the drop down bar. I implemented it just this morning around ~7am.
I agree, the most annoying aspect of it is the balloon box telling you to search, which was promptly removed by the bar provider a few hours later per my request (or so I was told).

This is a mere trial of the toolbar which I'm more than willing to remove to all members if you feel it's annoying and unnecessary, but I still wanted to wait for your reaction and not assume anything. As noted by some of you, you can disable it on your own by clicking on the side arrow but this is only cookie-based, while a removal on my part will be hard-coded, so you will never see it again. Any further thoughts?

PS: In case you didn't know or notice, all members also get less ads and none of the in-text ad links, free of charge, just because you rock :)

I will make a point of looking for small changes and commenting on them. But please get rid of this abomination! I blocked the site apture.com- nothing. There is no Cookie from apture.com.

You may notice that some sites load the bottom of the screen with similar 'bars' to do different things. I would like to keep my browser real estate clean with as much viewable screen as possible. I do not want a box popping up when I go to copy a word- isn't that something like a Smart Tag?

Has anyone else noticed a change in the up and down scrolling?

the mouse-over => drop down is just fine; it's the controllables that drive most of us insane :wave:

Interestingly, I've received positive comments from a few members who are not heavy forum users but read the frontpage news regularly.

Anyhow, based on this preliminary feedback I've removed the Apture bar from the forum to all members (guests will see it). On the main site, everybody will see the bar except on the frontpage which I believe kind of makes sense.

I should add, the toolbar is not used for monetization purposes at all, rather it's meant to showcase our brand to newcomers and let you interact with external sites easily (search, social networking) without leaving the page you are browsing.

Back