GSC closed? S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 out of the Zone

dividebyzero

For all you avid STALKER fans -including myself, some disheartening news that GSC may be closing it's doors from this report at Rock,Paper,Shotgun

It seems that the console crowd may have achieved what the Snorks, Bloodsuckers and anomolies could not...namely, kill Strelok.

Hopefully the code lives on with another developer or the modding community :(

Well of course it's going away. it was clever, wide open, didn't feel the need to spell it out for you, and lead you around with instructions for every step you took.
Damn!

Good news indeed, was so disappointed when I heard they were closing down. Hope they can actually get this game out.

If they're re-using maps/models from the previous games they must be reasonably advanced in putting the game together. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was/is supposed to be PC and console, so I had a hope that if the game was integrating XAudio 2 and XInput libraries (needed for console development), then the game could well be DirectX 11.1, which utilizes both as well as DirectXMath and, by all accounts, provides a reasonable performance boost over DirectX 11.

Silver lining etc.

The developer pledged to "do its best" to carry on at the time, but now it's officially closed its doors and the dev team has spawned spin-off studio, Vostok Games, reports MCV.

Vostok is currently developing a free to play MMO FPS called 'Survarium', also set in the iconic 'Zone' of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

"The concept of Survarium is a next evolution step for the idea of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. we've been working on for the last ten years," said project lead Ruslan Didenko.

"Survarium will go way further forcing mankind to fight for survival not only within the closed area of Chernobyl zone, but also far beyond."

Back