GTX 1050 Ti Price Increase?

Cycloid Torus

I've been watching price of a GTX 1050 Ti move from $125-140 to around $200 over the last year. Any one have thoughts as to an underlying reason or is this just 'get what you can' capitalism?

Supply and demand. I know 1080ti sold at 1000CAD less than 2 week's ago from amazon. Amazon has no stock right now and is selling it for 1300 instead!

The mining craze is driving lots of demand and manufacturers and sellers see that people are willing to pay and want part of the profit.

While you're quite correct that the price of those video cards has risen dramatically, Newegg's prices overall have escalated dramatically. Some SSDs seem to have gone down a bit from competition, while DRAM memory modules have (almost) skyrocketed in price.

For me at least, Amazon is never my first for choice tech purchases (*), and their prices are often inflated from two stepping products from other dealers.

(*) Actually Amazon is on a last resort status, for any of my purchases. Yeah, I'm an Amazon hater,.so what?

Last edited:
Cycloid the reason why they are doing it, restocking old tech and getting ready to bring in new tech by feburary.
Think of it as the stock market, you are correct about the gpu prices being low.
They will stay low until late feburary and the price tags go up by spring time till late june and go up starting in late september.
I was going to buy a gtx1050 or 1070 this month until I saw the prices dipping up and down right after christmas.
I am highly considering going with rx500 but I just purely hate ati's driver suite.
They never remained stable and I am always reinstalling thanks to a registry **** up caused by them.

Cycloid the reason why they are doing it, restocking old tech and getting ready to bring in new tech by feburary.
Think of it as the stock market, you are correct about the gpu prices being low.
They will stay low until late feburary and the price tags go up by spring time till late june and go up starting in late september.
I was going to buy a gtx1050 or 1070 this month until I saw the prices dipping up and down right after christmas.
I am highly considering going with rx500 but I just purely hate ati's driver suite.
They never remained stable and I am always reinstalling thanks to a registry **** up caused by them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mr. Torus said the GPU prices were going up, not down, as you suggest.

I bought a high end EVGA "FTW" model GTX-150 ti last year, and after sale money off up front, and a 10 dollar rebate, it netted down to either $130.00 or $140.00 USD. They're quite a bit higher at the moment.

@captaincranky -- Honestly beginning to wonder if there will be a flood of used high end cards for cheap (eBay, Yeah!) when the BitCrazies bite the bullet. Closest analogy is how the big engine cars were depreciated by the gas crunch in '73. Great time to buy a 442.

Pre-PC....

Do not try to do this at home...

Last edited:
I find it hard to imagine that crypto has a direct impact...possibly so if someone has figured that four 1050's are cheaper to buy and run than one 1080....or production is shifted to 1080s and making an artificial scarcity.

When crypto collapses (I think a 'when' not an 'if'), I imagine that there will be a rush to dump equipment - with used 1080s selling for less than a new 1050.

Back