GTX or GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kettle1

I was looking to buy a new vid card for my Asus A8N- Premium SLI and was thinking of getting Geforce 7800 GT or GTX. Is it really worth it to go with the GTX. I know it has higher clock speeds on gpu and mem. I also heard it has 24 pipelines instead of 20 is this true if so is that really important? I play games like Call of Duty 2 and Battlefield2. And what kind of fps difference sre we talking about. Sorry to be a pain in the ****, or ask stupid questions. My specs are:
Asus A8N-Premium SLI Motherboard
amd 64 3700+
2gigs pc3200 ram
120 gig maxtor HD
vid card?????
antec 500watt

I love the site guys and youve helped me out before. Thanks

I'm in the process of building practically the same PC as you have there, and I have been looking at benchmark statistics comparing the 7800GT and the GTX. All of them I have seen have had little difference between the GT and GTX, and when comparing the price, I have decided to just go for the GT.

Here is an example of several benchmarks:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/27/two_gts_great_for_gaming/index.html
Check pages 7-10.

Although I haven't researched the GTX other than seeing benchmarks against the GT, so im not sure if it will far exceed performance in future games, or if something similar to that will make it a much better card later on.

Hope that helps. :)

The 7800GTX is about $150 more than the 7800GT. The GTX will definitely perform better than the GT, but it all depends on how much you are willing to pay. I also think that the 7800GT will currently give you the most bang-for-the-buck.

pipelines are very important so is bit depth/rate...clock speeds aren't so much important since most ppl like to overclock anyway....law of diminishing returns...the higher the prices go the less of a performance increase you will see...all up to you..but i'd just go for the GT...$150 is a whole weeks work for me hehehe

Kettle1 said:
I Sorry to be a pain in the ****, or ask stupid questions.
I love the site guys and youve helped me out before. Thanks

You're not the pain in the ****, it's all the vid card choices - lol. I just helped a friend put together a system with a 7800GT - the deciding factors were price/performance compared to a base GTX - the online store he purchased from, listed all the variants of GTs/GTXs and he settled on a GT that was still over $100 less than a GTX, but with similar out-of-the-box clock speeds. (he's an online gamer with zero tolerance for any overclocking instability)
Good luck on the build - either 7800 will kick booty.

the GTX should perform better than GT, the benchmark shows that. I think given to the fact that you have a SLI board, why not get the GT and go for SLI in the future, I think the price diff of 150ish for the GTX, by just adding like 100 or more, you can go for SLI which should perform better than GTX.

Thanks alot guys. Your input was well appreciated. Depending on how much money i have next fri. will determine wheather i go gtx or the gt. Seems likely that the gt will be the winner just cause of the fact i will be able to do a SLI config faster with the gt then coming up up with the money for two GTX cards.
You guys are awsome, again thanks for the info.

thats exactly what im planning on doing, im hoping that instead of upgrading a new card and mobo ill just be able to get another 7800gt, and a dual core processor, all on the same mobo, for a nice cheap upgrade...

The best bang for the buck video card for the medium price range is the 6800 GS, and for the high range it is 7800 GT. The difference between the GTX and the GT is not worth justifying in paying over $150 unless you have the money.

One word of caution: If you plan to go SLI with any model, either buy the two at once or buy the second one very soon. We all know technology moves fast like crazy, and there is no guarantee how long a certain model will last. Not to mention, different revisions/versions of the same model (e.g., 7800 GT) may appear in the future and it may end up being difficult in terms of compatibility.

i had tried the 6600GS and i didnt like it as much but for like 100 bucks more the
Radeon X800GTO is damn good.

If you like nVidia or are already decided on getting a geforce, then get the GT. Otherwise you should give a look at ATI products too.

As for SLI I would not worry much for it(but thats more personal opinion than anything else, won't go into that).

Right now might not be the best time to get a video card since the R480 is supposed to be almost out and that should drive prices down.

compres

I was lokking at the eVGA 256-P2-N527-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 that i could get a deal on. Any one have this card and shed some light. I like the cooler and clock speeds.

yA the 500w is enough! coz its antec! I also recommend you go in for the GT instead of the GTX coz the price diffrence isnt worth the increase 0f a few fps. Hey try out the BFG 7800gt OC. It really kicks the @$$ of the competition. Factory overclocked by experts and LIFETIME warranty. How is that? It is one of the fastest gts out there.
Ya the software bundle they provide is nothing much to talk about but in the end remember that u r buying it for its sheer perfomance not for some free games. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back