Guess the 980 doesn't cut it anymore

Hello everyone. I've been playing battlefield 1 lately and noticing sub-par performance in certain maps.
I have everything maxed out except AA, which is off. Not running dx12, as I'm still on windows 7.

I'm not a fool, I realize my card is getting on in the years, but I was sure, and heard others say, that it should be good enough for 1920x1080 res. It seems it is not. Some maps are dropping to the 30fps range.
Singleplayer, so far, runs great. Normally I would assume this was an indicator that the online component was causing this, or perhaps my cpu is bottlenecking my card, but this is not the case.

I fired up rivatuner and HWinfo to see exactly what was going on. In the maps where I get the lowest performance, all eight of my threads fluctuate between 75 to 90%, the gpu load, however, is maxed out 100%, 100% of the time. The vram allocation never seemed to exceed 2.5GB. So I've come to the conclusion that my gpu just can't churn it out like it used to, even at 1920x1080.

I thought, especially at my modest resolution, this card would be good for longer than this. Could something else be causing my card to max out like that? Perhaps the game just isn't optimized well enough
to utilize my card properly? I hope so. I really don't like upgrading my cards every generation. My last card was a 680. I was planning on upgrading on the next generation of cards, as most of the time the slight performance increase between consecutive generations aren't enough to warrant the cost, though I have heard the 1080 is quite a leap from the 980.

My specs are:

i7 3820
Evga GTX 980sc
16GB ram
Asus p9x79 deluxe
Corsair TX850m PSU

I've seen a lot of people saying that it's not worth it to get a 1080 for 1920x1080 gaming, that the 980 will do 1920x1080 just fine, but from my experience, it doesn't. Wouldn't mind gaming at 4k, but honestly, given the fact that my 980 can't max out games and run smoothly at 1080p, I have my doubts about the 1080 doing 4k flawlessly.

I game with two GTX 980's in SLI @ 2560x1600 and I can max out except AA battlefield 1. If you can find another Evga GTX 980sc for cheap then SLI might be your answer.

I have a gtx 980 founders edition that I bought from best buy. yea it doesn't cut it and I am not impressed with the card. I play at at 1600x900 res too lol I don't even own a 1080p screen and I can't max out quite a few games even @ 900p. pretty garbage card if u ask me. I'll be making an amd build next time. I like radeon cards better anyways.

I used amd back in the day. Back then it was ati, and my first decent video card was a 9800gt. After that it was a Radeon 5850, then a 6970. I switched over to nvidia around this time, a switch I made in anger. I had purchased a second 6970 to crossfire, and boy was I not happy with that. I felt that ati had screwed me over with their promises of how the performance would scale with both cards. The only game that seemed to scale properly was The Witcher 2. Everything else actually scaled negatively.

It was then that I bought a gtx680, which outperformed both of my ati cards, and I never looked back. I am aware, however, that ati/amd's driver and profile support for crossfire setups weren't that great at the time, and have been vastly improved since then. I just haven't really given them a chance since my little fit. I do know one thing, though, I'm certainly not impressed with the 980, which is pretty horrible, considering how much it costed me.My 680 seemed to have a longer life than the 980.

It's seems I have to really do my homework if I don't want to be so quickly disappointed with a new card. At this point, I'm definitely not beyond trying amd, again.

Something is wrong with your PC. Your 980 should be getting equivalent fps to my 1060, and I'm getting 80 to 100. In no way does it ever drop to the 30ies.

I'm personally having a hard time seeing a 980 having issues with BF1. Have you tried updating or reverting back graphics drivers? Reinstall drivers? Make sure you're not over heating.

I run an EVGA 970sc on my extra PC and I get well over 40fps with everything cranked except AA in BF1. I have an i7-4790, 16GB ram & two SATA SSDs in RAID0 on a fairly clean Win10pro install gaming on a 1080p monitor.

That being said, the problem might be with your OS or if the game is on an SSD or not. Maybe try a clean OS install, latest 980 drivers from Nvidia (388.1 as of this writing) & if you can, install BF1 on an SSD. Also check your memory timings in your system BIOS, the faster the better. Also, make sure your gaming on a hard-wired ethernet connection vs a wireless connection. Hope this helps, take care!!

Hello. Ok so there is this guy that gets around 70-90 FPS with a GTX 980 and an i7 4790K @4.8Ghz. Didnt see the settings. Maybe upgrade to Windows 10 and your issue will go away.

Something is wrong with your PC. Your 980 should be getting equivalent fps to my 1060, and I'm getting 80 to 100. In no way does it ever drop to the 30ies.

Do you think his sandy bridge might be a problem with rendering the maps and what not bf1 ?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NT9UT3M/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20
He has one hell of a card and it should be doing cartwheels around my pny gtx750sc.
I would say it is computer setup they maybe making him lag more or the core i7 he has.

Do you think his sandy bridge might be a problem with rendering the maps and what not bf1 ?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NT9UT3M/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20
He has one hell of a card and it should be doing cartwheels around my pny gtx750sc.
I would say it is computer setup they maybe making him lag more or the core i7 he has.

An i7 960 user here. I play BF1 on high (lowest AA setting and lower shadows) with a 1060 with over 60FPS. I would say something isn't right. Hardware or software issues, something is hurting his performance.

I would advise the OP try playing on high settings to see if you notice any major improvements and keep us to date.

Back