Gunman kills two people at Madden tournament in Florida

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? A Madden NFL 19 tournament became a scene of horror yesterday when a lone gunman killed two people and injured at least 11 before turning the weapon on himself.

The shooting took place at the GLHF Game Bar at the Jacksonville Landing—an open-air festival marketplace in Downtown Jacksonville, Florida. The tournament, which was a qualifying round for the Madden NFL Championship Series, was being streamed on Twitch.

During the live broadcast, a red laser dot sight briefly appears on one commentator’s chest before viewers heard gunshots, at which point the feed switched to full-screen gameplay and then a ‘controller disconnected’ screen. As the audio isn’t cut, screams and more weapons fire can be heard. The disturbing clip has been removed from Twitch but is now on YouTube.

The shooter has been identified as 24-year-old David Katz, known as “Bread” or “Sliced Bread.” He won the Madden Bills Championship in 2017 and was competing in yesterday's tournament. According to online accounts, Elijah Clayton, an LA resident who used the online name True_818, and Taylor Robertson (Spotmeplzz), were the two people he killed.

While Katz’s motives remain unconfirmed, some reports claim he had become angry after losing a game. He is thought to have been staying at a nearby hotel, and the FBI said it searched his father’s home in the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore on Sunday evening.

Madden NFL publisher EA Sports said it was “devastated by this horrific event.” The company posted a tweet expressing its condolences to all those involved.

The National Football League also offered its sympathies.

Some of those who were competing in the tournament have been tweeting about what happened.

"They took me to the hospital. Bullet grazed my head. I feel fine, just a scratch on my head. Traumatized and devastate," tweeted Chris "Dubby" McFarland.

Tim "oLarry2K" Anselino, a Pro NBA2K player for Bucks Gaming, was shot three times as bullets hit his chest, hip, and hand. Amazingly, he survived, though his father admitted that his son might never be able to compete as a pro gamer again. The elder Timothy Anselino also shed some light on the shooter. “They said this (shooter) played with them for a few years, and he didn’t associate with any of them. Somebody would ask him a question and he’d say, ‘None of your business.’”

Permalink to story.

Gonna be shunned, but, well, as NRA will point out soon, brutal video games like Madden should be banned.
I'm sorry for victims, and terror that survivers had to endure, but have to point out an obvious weakness in the Greatest Country on Earth, as I cannot imagine such an outcome in like Europe. Here, a madman would probably take out a knife and got wrestled down by security or by-standers after first few stabs. In US negative emotions are too easily turned into blind gun violence.
I would tag this article more as "political" and "social", than "tech culture".

Gonna be shunned, but, well, as NRA will point out soon, brutal video games like Madden should be banned.
I'm sorry for victims, and terror that survivers had to endure, but have to point out an obvious weakness in the Greatest Country on Earth, as I cannot imagine such an outcome in like Europe. Here, a madman would probably take out a knife and got wrestled down by security or by-standers after first few stabs. In US negative emotions are too easily turned into blind gun violence.
Maybe this could be solved by giving people easy access mental healthcare and actually taking mental health seriously in the US.

Easy access to guns... another day another tragedy. I can't even imagine the horror those people went through and how the relatives of those involved feel.

Maybe this could be solved by giving people easy access mental healthcare and actually taking mental health seriously in the US.

Bingo.

Too many hot heads who need help and damn well shouldn't be allowed to own or carry a firearm, or any weapon for that matter. In fact some of these people shouldn't even be in society as they are a danger to themselves and others.

A very sad event and another negative mark on an inanimate object, the gun. yRaz pretty much nailed it though, mental health care is pretty much a joke in the US. It is certainly a large contender in the culture of violence that the US is fostering rather than curing. And if it was taken more seriously and there was quality services available to all without worry of financial strain these violent events would be occur less often.

There are a lot of things that need to be done; and I know nearly all of you hater's won't agree but the gun isn't the problem. Mental health services, cultural values, family values, and respect are severely depleted in the US and until those issues are improved, the violence will continue. Stop pretending the gun is the problem just because you don't understand or care for the principles of independence this country was founded upon. Help fix the problem or get the hell out, there are plenty of anti-gun countries to choose from.

Last edited:
Cue the pompous crowd of enlightened individuals who know the solution to all society's problems. It's amazing how violence and death still exist in a world with such intelligent people.

I guess EA's "It's in the game!" didn't compute with this f@#$ing loser. We can blame the tools of violence, for which, there are many, or we can blame a society that coddles self-importance over 'it's not about you'. Even one death is one too many. And it is ridiculously too frequent over mundane things. There's been an emergent trend of narcissism and entitlement that even mental health hasn't reckoned with. Mental health issues may explain it but it's also a societal attitude problem. People want what they want and all even reasonable obstacles be damned. And lives mean nothing to them. If we can throw babies away as a matter of convenience aren't we not surprised that all lives become also just a matter of convenience in pursuit of one's goals?

Last edited:
Cue the pompous crowd of enlightened individuals who know the solution to all society's problems. It's amazing how violence and death still exist in a world with such intelligent people.
At least we're trying. You're just insulting us, and for what?

Back