Half-Life 3 spotted at Gamescom! But it's not what you were hoping for

midian182

Staff member

2016 marks ten years since Valve officially announced that Half-Life 2: Episode Three was in development, yet its existence continues to be limited to catchphrases and memes. But over at Gamescom in Cologne there was a brief moment when it seemed as if we’d be getting some new info on the mythical game.

As reported by Eurogamer, the poster emblazoned with "Half-Life: 3" outside of the Koelnmesse convention center hangs next upcoming titles such as Watch Dogs 2, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3, and Titanfall 2, suggesting that perhaps Valve has decided a decade is long enough to keep gamers waiting for the final part of the trilogy.

Sadly, this isn’t the case. When translated from German, the poster reads: “Half-Life: 3 editors who played it back then." A reference to three editors who played the original Half-Life game when it was first released. A pretty sneaky tactic from the companies that commissioned the ad, which Eurogamer believes to be spieletipps and GIGA games.

The poster has obviously had more of an effect on those who can’t speak German, with several Twitter users proclaiming “IT’S HERE!” before being told the depressing truth.

Back in 2013, it looked as if Half-Life 3/Episode 3 was on its way when Valve seemingly registered the trademark in Europe, but this turned out to be fairly convincing hoax.

After ten years of anticipation, the chances of Half-Life 3 ever becoming a reality look slimmer than ever, especially when you consider the amount of pressure Valve would be under to come up with the greatest game ever made. It seems the next time we see Gordon Freeman will probably be on the big screen.

Permalink to story.

We're never going to get Half-life 3 because the stuff that made it revolutionary back then is business-as-usual today. There is very little point in continuing the story, unless they want to end it and Valve is still making boat loads of money from Dota 2 right now.

Get your heads out of your asses and go play Witcher 3 or something. While Half-life was great back in the day, it's mediocre by today's standards both in terms of gameplay and story. We have Dues Ex on the way, get your fix that way.

We're never going to get Half-life 3 because the stuff that made it revolutionary back then is business-as-usual today. There is very little point in continuing the story, unless they want to end it and Valve is still making boat loads of money from Dota 2 right now.

Get your heads out of your asses and go play Witcher 3 or something. While Half-life was great back in the day, it's mediocre by today's standards both in terms of gameplay and story. We have Dues Ex on the way, get your fix that way.
Did you ever play Episode 2?

Did you ever play Episode 2?
I've played the entire half-life series extensively. I know I'm going to get a ton of hate for this, but everyone needs to stop being blinded my nostalgia when it comes to HL2. It's not even that great of a game by today's standards. Maybe everyone loved it so much because it was the first PC games they played?

To quote a favorite old jewish merchant I knew in NYC: "Some money is better than no money" and the CEO of that company really needs to think about that. No matter the age, etc, etc, there are still one heck of a lot of Half Life fans out there that want to see version 3. It might not be as big a hit as some, but some money is certainly better than no money. Wouldn't it be interesting to find stat's that show how many people avoid buying more Valve software because of that? It's probably more than they realize ....

I've played the entire half-life series extensively. I know I'm going to get a ton of hate for this, but everyone needs to stop being blinded my nostalgia when it comes to HL2. It's not even that great of a game by today's standards. Maybe everyone loved it so much because it was the first PC games they played?
I don't care about any of that, did you see how they left it? That's a cliff hanger that's been gripping people for years now.

How you can say the story isn't worth continuing is beyond me. Sure, Witcher 3 has a good story. But it's not a first person shooter. I think the last FPS I played which had a decent story was Bioshock: Infinite. You are massively overrating modern Story driven First Person Shooters, the majority of them are terrible, Half-Life's story still easily holds up against today's heavy weights like Crysis, Call of Duty & Battlefield (Which to be fair, the single player isn't really worth looking at).

I'm not crying over the non-existence of Half-Life 3. It's just that writing off the story of the past games like it doesn't hold up to today's standard is rubbish.

Last edited:
Snarky little f**kers... They could have spelled the word "three", like you are supposed to and put it on the line with the rest of the sentence. If I was there in person I would kick the guy in the jaw who thought that was clever.

I don't care about any of that, did you see how they left it? That's a cliff hanger that's been gripping people for years now.

How you can say the story isn't worth continuing is beyond me. Sure, Witcher 3 has a good story. But it's not a first person shooter. I think the last FPS I played which had a decent story was Bioshock: Infinite. You are massively overrating modern Story driven First Person Shooters, the majority of them are terrible, Half-Life's story still easily holds up against today's heavy weights like Crysis, Call of Duty & Battlefield (Which to be far, the single player isn't really worth looking at).

I'm not crying over the non-existence of Half-Life 3.
The biggest problem with making half-life 3 is that it will never live up to the hype that it's generated over the years and will be a massive disappointment even if it's a good game. I think it's more fun to wonder about the cliffhanger than to actually know what happens.

The biggest problem with making half-life 3 is that it will never live up to the hype that it's generated over the years and will be a massive disappointment even if it's a good game. I think it's more fun to wonder about the cliffhanger than to actually know what happens.
I have wondered, I've wondered for years now, They don't need to release a Half-Life 3. They could make a completely different game set in the same universe, Maybe after the events of Half-Life 3 or something? So you get tid bits of the story after episode 2? That would be sick.

I have wondered, I've wondered for years now, They don't need to release a Half-Life 3. They could make a completely different game set in the same universe, Maybe after the events of Half-Life 3 or something? So you get tid bits of the story after episode 2? That would be sick.

And it wouldn't mean that Valve would finally have to learn to count to three either, so its possible.

Back