Half of all iDevices are now running iOS 12

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: There’s an unwritten rule that it’s best not to install major OS updates on older hardware as slowdowns are almost guaranteed to accompany the new software. With iOS 12, however, that doesn’t seem to be the case as many are reporting that older devices are actually just as fast with iOS 12, if not faster than before.

With this year’s iOS update, Apple focused on stability and performance improvements rather than introducing a whole slew of new features. The strategy appears to have paid off as half of all Apple mobile devices are now running iOS 12, as are 53 percent of devices introduced in the last four years, according to the latest data from Apple.

As ZDNet recounts, it took roughly 50 days for half of Apple’s install base to adopt iOS 11 last year. With iOS 12, which launched on September 17, it took about half as long – or just under 25 days – to hit the same milestone.

Apple’s App Store data further reveals that 39 percent of mobile devices are still using iOS 11 and only 11 percent are running software older than iOS 11.

In comparison, Google’s Android Pie, which arrived on August 6, had less than 0.1 percent distribution as of September 28 (the latest stats Google has to share). Last year’s Android Oreo has found its way to 19.2 percent of devices through the same period while Android 7.0 + 7.1 Nougat distribution sits at 29.3 percent.

Lead image via 9to5Mac

Permalink to story.

...many are reporting that older devices are actually just as fast with iOS 12, if not faster than before.
Well I hope so. They got caught slowing down their older phones. Now they'll lay low, and then start doing it again when people forget...

And I never understood the big deal with comparing the adoption rate of major versions of a mobile OS. Especially when Apple pretty much "forces" iOS users to update...

And I never understood the big deal with comparing the adoption rate of major versions of a mobile OS. Especially when Apple pretty much "forces" iOS users to update...
It's a jab towards Android where you're lucky if your OEM and carrier decides to grace your device with a new OS version let alone patches. This is especially so in the US where the carriers don't give a rat's @ss about your older device because they would much rather you buy a new device instead and keep you forever on the upgrade treadmill (it makes them boatloads of cash).

From a purely business point of view it makes a lot of sense. You want the people to always have to come back and buy a new device, after all the CEO needs to buy a new yacht this year. However, from a user's point of view it really does suck.

Last edited:
But apple is a cash cow where android is not. I am still on Oreo 8, I don't see the need to get Pie 9 until the release to my cell.

I really don't use my iPad 5th Gen at all but when I ran it there was and Update for 12 to be installed. Now that 12 is on it I did notice Day of the week next to the clock. Was up there to the upper left corner. I had asked Siri did she get upgraded as well? She said she didn't know? LOL Too bad Apple developers/engineers don't thing out of the box like those at Microsoft for their Cortana is more personable than Apple Siri. I don't play around too much with Hey Google AI only on the phone. I wish they get the voice diction working right.

Unless an update fixes some bug that makes the phone considerably worse or unusable I don't care about it. Updates just introduce more bugs anyway cause they're rushed.

This is one of many reasons why iOS is well ahead of Android.

You still can't swipe text on an iPhone without downloading an app.

You still can't rearrange icons on your screens to where you want them without everything shifting.

You still need to have a junk folder for all your unwanted apps.

You still can't permanently turn off WiFi without going into the settings.

Apple still tricks its users into upgrading by pretending to lock their phone and having them put their password in to upgrade.

The battery life is still abysmal for iPhones.

Source: I'm an iPhone user.

I'm not saying that in the Apple camp it's all sunshine and puppies, far from it. However when it comes to the software support side they are bar-none the best there is. Meanwhile in the Android world it's a complete crapshoot if you get software updates (unless of course you buy a Google branded device).

You still can't swipe text on an iPhone without downloading an app.

You still can't rearrange icons on your screens to where you want them without everything shifting.

You still need to have a junk folder for all your unwanted apps.

You still can't permanently turn off WiFi without going into the settings.

Apple still tricks its users into upgrading by pretending to lock their phone and having them put their password in to upgrade.

The battery life is still abysmal for iPhones.

Source: I'm an iPhone user.
iOS is far from perfect but I’d hit the character limit if I tried to list Androids flaws. In all honesty though I do think it’s mostly down to preference. I’m lucky enough to get to pick and choose phones at will and every time I pick an Android device something about it bothers the **** out of me and I quickly scurry back to iOS.

Oh and no Android device I’ve ever used (including my last phone - a Note 8) has ever come close to the battery life of the iPhone 8+ I’m currently using. Most iPhones I’ve had have had pretty dire battery but not this one. And Ive got an appointment to get it factory replaced next week for £29 in my local Apple store as it’s reporting 90% capacity. Pretty good stuff.

Also that stuff about tricking users to upgrade in your comment is complete BS.

Also that stuff about tricking users to upgrade in your comment is complete BS.

Complete BS as in I'm wrong, or complete BS on Apple's part? It's a real thing.

Don't upgrade right away, and they'll start trying to force you to upgrade by requesting your pin code after you unlock your phone. After you type it in, they force upgrade your phone to the new iOS.

Complete BS as in I'm wrong, or complete BS on Apple's part? It's a real thing.

Don't upgrade right away, and they'll start trying to force you to upgrade by requesting your pin code after you unlock your phone. After you type it in, they force upgrade your phone to the new iOS.
They definitely do not do that.

They absolutely do. It has happened to me every time they release a new iOS and I don't upgrade right away.

Take 5 minutes and Google it.
You are talking out your behind. If it were true then I wouldn’t have needed to upgrade the OS version on my mums three year old iPad for her.

I’ve been using Apple devices for years, I’ve never seen them force anyone to upgrade. Stop spreading bs.

You are talking out your behind. If it were true then I wouldn’t have needed to upgrade the OS version on my mums three year old iPad for her.

I’ve been using Apple devices for years, I’ve never seen them force anyone to upgrade. Stop spreading bs.

Instead of claiming I'm wrong over and over, just Google it. Or stay ignorant. Your choice really.

Back