Halo: The Master Chief Collection's PC port is one of Steam's bestsellers

Polycount

Staff

Typically, when we cover Steam's latest breakout successes, they're completely new titles, or sequels to existing titles. However, it seems the Halo franchise is an exception to that norm. Halo: The Master Chief Collection (MCC) officially launched on PC today and it's doing quite well for itself.

The MCC is now the number one bestseller on Steam, and it has 130,645 concurrent players as of writing, putting it in fourth place behind CS:GO, DOTA 2, and PUBG. That number only seems to be going up, so we'll be sure to update this article if it changes significantly over the next few days.

As we've pointed out in the past, the MCC's PC titles aren't launching all at once. Instead, developer 343 Industries has opted for a staggered release model, publishing one game at a time in chronological order. 343 is taking the unique needs and desires of PC players into account with the MCC's PC version, so a slower, more methodical approach to development is necessary.

With the launch of the first MCC title today -- Halo Reach -- it's clear that this approach has paid off. It has mostly positive reviews on Steam at the moment, and it includes full support for adaptive sync, FOV customization, 60 FPS gameplay, 4K resolutions, ultrawide monitors, and more.

If you want to jump right into Reach today, you can purchase it by itself now for $9.99, or pre-order the MCC as a whole for $39.99, which will grant you instant access to each Halo PC port as soon as they release.

Permalink to story.

I tried a couple of Halo games and just couldn't get into them. Obviously I'm in the minority...

I never liked them either but I soldier through 1 and 2 and the game does get better at 3, I loved 4 and 5 was my second favourite after 4 :)

I never liked them either but I soldier through 1 and 2 and the game does get better at 3, I loved 4 and 5 was my second favourite after 4 :)
3 was my favorite, but that was because of the multiplayer. The endless hours I spent with my friends killing each other....

But I don't remember enough if the story that it will probably be fresh again to me. I only played 1-3 so it might be worthwhile to play through these. I love a good scifi story, they seem to be lacking in recent years. Ever since Stargate and BattleStar Galactica died there really hasn't been much.

The expanse is in limbo, darkmatter got cancelled and I'm yet to see a new season for altered carbon.

Looks like PC gamers are trying to tell MS that they should've done this a long time ago lol

I might throw some money at this soon. Been a while since I've played Halo...

I'm done with halo, 1 and 2 were awesome. Even brought a second 32" tv and xbox so we could play 8 player over lan, great days. 3 was crap and the xbone one was worse, but then I think game devs should never make more than 2 games in a series. It just gets very boring to me.

Personally? I'm not getting them until the entire series is released. This will have the side benefit of enough time for all the glitches and bugs worked out.
Entire series will take a year or few. So, I'm fine with getting it earlier, especially if I can play it with my friends (again).

I'm done with halo, 1 and 2 were awesome. Even brought a second 32" tv and xbox so we could play 8 player over lan, great days. 3 was crap and the xbone one was worse, but then I think game devs should never make more than 2 games in a series. It just gets very boring to me.

Im sorry, did you just say xbone one?

3 was my favorite, but that was because of the multiplayer. The endless hours I spent with my friends killing each other....

But I don't remember enough if the story that it will probably be fresh again to me. I only played 1-3 so it might be worthwhile to play through these. I love a good scifi story, they seem to be lacking in recent years. Ever since Stargate and BattleStar Galactica died there really hasn't been much.

The expanse is in limbo, darkmatter got cancelled and I'm yet to see a new season for altered carbon.

The expanse isn't in limbo. New season comes out in about a week on Amazon Prime - turns out Bezos was a fan of the show.

Tried the multiplayer last night, what a terrible experience... Not sure if new games are just that much better or if an old console game just can't be ported well to PC with mouse and keyboard support, but damn, it was miserable, the guns are incredibly inaccurate, the movement is slow and numb, the visuals look straight out of the very early 2000s (enhanced visuals my ***). Perhaps I'm missing some nostalgic point to all this but I can tell you I see no point in playing this over anything modern. Maybe had I played these games in their heyday I would feel different about it but even back then I was already playing PC games that had far more going for them then this.

Hopefully the campaign has more to enjoy, but if the controls are the same and the weapons equally awful I don't see myself spending any time with this bag of turds, regardless of how much people over-hype the story and blah blah Halo blah blah...

The expanse isn't in limbo. New season comes out in about a week on Amazon Prime - turns out Bezos was a fan of the show.
I know that bezos was a fan of the show, but it was my understanding that some of the actors were going to leave since it was taking too long to get picked back up.

Anyway, good stuff, I can't wait for the new seasons. The world is seriously lacking good sci-fi

Back