Hard drive advice

terry5880

hi all looking for 1tb or more external hard drive under £60 really can anyone reccomend cheapest places my usb is 2.0 any other info please let me know . thanks

Wait a month to six weeks... They are actually off line at the Hard Drive factories, so the prices are very high. As soon as they catch up with existing orders, they will go back to full scale manufacturing of the 1, 1.5, and 2 TB drives... at a cost you can afford.

Prices have already come down 12 percent, but it will take a while for availability and somewhat normal pricing to get in gear.

It would be helpful to know where you see them offered at that price, with the brands and models... as I just checked six sources to find them all over $109.. and most were $139.99 to $145.99... Those priced at less showed they were "out of stock" or "unavailable.."

As of 7:55 pm, Arizona time, the prices for those hard drives at Maplin and Misco were both over $121.99... some exceeded $139.99... Converting pounds to dollars, they are more expensive than Frys, NewEgg, Directron, Tech Depot, CDW, and MacMall... and none that I can find are under $100.

I got a 2TB one for £50 before all the flooding... so unless you're really really deperate for a new hard drive then you should wait a month or two as suggested.

WD Caviar Green 32MB Cache 1TB costs 83 Euros in Greece which means 71 Pounds. That's the cheapest I could find.

I think we've pretty much helped terry5880 out. But I wanted to add something, if you really had to get one, I've found some of the box stores have external hard drives that really haven't changed in price much. They are still more expensive than internals were a couple months ago (of course), but you can open up the externals and remove the drive to use as an internal - could save you a fair bit of money depending on the drive.

Good Idea. Have done this in the past, but have found the external drives are not of the same quality, usually Hitachi or Samsung, and do not come with the same warranty from the manufacturer. Western Digital and Seagate, for two, will generally not warranty the drive at all unless you also return the case.
But these are desperate times for a while. Western Digital started up production last Thursday, but are still at only 40 percent of their previous capacity.
Soon they will be a full production, but there are big questions about when any of the drive manufacturers will be producing IDE and EIDE drives once more.
Our repair shop prices for 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch drives doubled in price, and in some sizes cost three times as much. The prices have dropped a little from November, but not nearly enough.

Terry5880 my bad, they are INTERNAL HDDS NOT External. I guess external are more expensive, sorry it was my mistake.

no problem mate . yea im looking for external to back everything up etc just incase anything went wrong etc .. again thanks all for your help

Mate I searched again and I found 3.5"inch 1TB the cheapest is 69 pounds! (External) It is called " Intenso Memory Tower 1TB" . But generally more renowed companies are much much expensive (cause they are better I suppose? :D ) So you can't find with 60Pounds 1TB ;-)

Back