Hard drive and CD drive sharing the same bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all.

l just bought a new motherboard as an upgrade for my computer. However it only has one IDE channel and has a BUS that is connected to the board (that unique channel) and two connectors in the other side......

is ok to connect those two ports to my HD and CD unit??

is that something that l can do?

what are the consecuences ??

any ideas?

NO, l dont have a SATA HD is just a regual ATA type.

thanks

Jumpers are near the big flat cable and where the power plugs into the back of both drives. If you look carefully there may be markings like M, S, CS where CS means Cable Select. Place the jumpers in the CS position

Yes set both the CD ROM and the hard drive to CS (Cable Select) Remember, on an IDE cable, when one device is set to CS, both devices on an IDE channel must be set to CS

putting hdd and rom drives on the same channel will likely result in degraged performance for your hdd as only one device can read/write at a time. and your hdd speed (ata66/100/133) will likely be dragged down to that of your cr-rom (ata33)

Seeing as you've paid to upgrade your mobo, would it not be wise to buy a sata hdd?

A lot of older OEM computers were set up this way, with a hard drive and CDROM on one IDE channel. Going SATA is a good idea, but it is not that necessary since we don't know the detailed specs of this upgrade

no, its not necessary as you say, its just a shame if he's paid to upgrade his mobo, he can't full advantage of that upgrade whilst using legacy ide hardware.

thanks a lot y'all, just let me get this PC working as it is now, l know that the SATA drive will be fantastic but for now l just need it to get it going. if it does i will change the exsiting HD (PATA) for a SATA

hell yeah.!

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back