Hard drive detective problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkisspartan

I recently bought a new 160gb western digital hard drive and i hooked it up the my computer( its a second hard drive). when i turn the computer on, it detects both my hard drive in CMOS, but when i go to "My Computer" it doesnt show it there(only c: is shown). the hard drive is also shown in device manager but not on disk management. also i was told to type d:/DM on the comand prompt and i did, but it says "this device is not ready". can anyone help me ?thanks

hi, make shure that your hdd is correctly connected. than right click on my computer icon----> click on manage---> click on disks management---> choose second hdd and format it, after that procedure u can use your new hdd. succes

ZWERVER said:
hi, make shure that your hdd is correctly connected. than right click on my computer icon----> click on manage---> click on disks management---> choose second hdd and format it, after that procedure u can use your new hdd. succes
thats the problem, the hard drive is connected proparlly because it is detected on the CMOS but only the c: drive is shown in disk management, not the new hard drive i connected.

PATA interface?
Set the jumpers correctly. If they aren't on Master/Slave then make them, Cable Select is no good.

SNGX1275 said:
PATA interface?
Set the jumpers correctly. If they aren't on Master/Slave then make them, Cable Select is no good.
i got my main hard drive set on master and the new one i put in to slave. still no success.

You could use the CD that came with the drive (or download it if you didn't get one) and partition/format the drive with the manufacturer's software. Or you could take the drive and put it in another computer to partition/format. If your jumpers are correct I can't think of any other options.

Edit: Alternatively you can set the new drive as master, disconnect the old drive, boot up from your XP cd and partition and format it from there, then just stop the Windows installation (power off) and switch it back to slave and connect the main hard drive. Once in Windows you should see the drive, I suppose there is a chance it won't show up in explorer if it also wants to be C, but it will show up in device manager, where you could assign it a different drive letter. Then just delete any files that may be on it from the Windows install and you are set.

Also check to make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.

The diagnostics should include trying the drive in another computer. It appears to be defective now. If it is detected in another drive, reformat it, and try again in the original problem computer. If it doesn't work in that new computer, you know it is dead.
Alternately, contact the manufacturer's web site for disc drive tools to see if they will enable the drive. Then contact their tech support for an exchange with a working model.

the problem was that the hard drive was locked. I had to unlock it and i did, now it works. Too bad none of you IT experts gave me the right answer.

You did get the right answer. Your drive would have been unlocked if you had downloaded and ran the drive fitness software from the manufacturer.
Thanks for your smart answer anyway, new expert.

linkisspartan said:
the problem was that the hard drive was locked. I had to unlock it and i did, now it works. Too bad none of you IT experts gave me the right answer.
Care to explain that a bit more? Hard drives don't come 'locked' I'm not even sure what you are talking about. If it was locked it was likely locked by some software you neglected to tell us about. And if you would have followed my advice in the 2nd post I had it would have worked. The quality of the responses are directly proportional to the quality of the question asked and the details given.

As for your smart *** comment, all of us here are volunteers giving you the best advice we can. Not everyone here works in IT - most don't, for most of us its a side hobby. If you aren't happy with your results here GTFO nobody is going to miss you - go somewhere where you can pay the guys to answer your questions.

New Hdd

linkisspartan said:

Your story began "I recently bought a new 160gb western digital hard drive..." haha, anyway i have never seen a shop who selling new hdd whit lockon, maybe u have found some special top secret place.

SNGX1275 said:
Care to explain that a bit more? Hard drives don't come 'locked' I'm not even sure what you are talking about. If it was locked it was likely locked by some software you neglected to tell us about. And if you would have followed my advice in the 2nd post I had it would have worked. The quality of the responses are directly proportional to the quality of the question asked and the details given.

As for your smart *** comment, all of us here are volunteers giving you the best advice we can. Not everyone here works in IT - most don't, for most of us its a side hobby. If you aren't happy with your results here GTFO nobody is going to miss you - go somewhere where you can pay the guys to answer your questions.

yeah right...correct question---> correct answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back