Hard drive is reporting a Smart Event error message

How serious is this? I'm running on a Dell laptop with a Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

It is saying that I should back up all of my important files because of possible hard drive failure.

PLEASE HELP? I don't know how to fix this because I don't know what it means.

It telling you your hard drive is on its way out. You can try running a check disk and see if that helps. But to be on the safe side you should back up your personal files.

Use a tool that can collect your hard disk drives S.M.A.R.T. attributes and post them back here. Something like CrystalDiskInfo should be able to pull up that info. It should also highlight what attribute is beyond a set threshold warning of imminent failure.

I just went through this a week ago with a family members desktop. Hard drive makers make a utility to check their drives. After the Windows notification downloaded and used it on his hard drives and the S.M.A.R.T. failure was on corrupted (sectors, blocks, whatever). Drive's condition went down amazingly fast, even before we could copy all of the files off. During this another drive gave the same condition although this time we got all the files. Took the two drives out had both drives tested at the local computer parts store, both faulty, got replacements free as I buy 'insurance' on hard drives. Bottom line: if I ever see this condition again..copy data off immediately

Because of this, I use a program which constantly monitors the real time S.M.A.R.T. data and overall health of my hard disk drives: http://www.hdsentinel.com/ Best program I've ever used. :)
The hard disk status is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors.
No actions needed.

Back