Hard drive light flashing with nearly no processes running

MD3000

I have had a look round the posts but nothing I try stops the internal drive getting accessed.
I have unchecked the CD autorun using TweakUI (this worked for someone else)
I have temp disabled AVG along with BoostSpeed and Team Viewer
The only process running apart from sys idle is svchost.exe (1%)

I hope someone out there manages to work their magic as they did the last time I posted here!
Thanks

Sounds like the System Index service is running.

When you find that happening, disconnect from the Internet to be sure MS Update is not running or something on your system is phoning home to be sure.

To see all Internet connections from your PC, grab a copy of CurrPorts - - runas admin and you will see everything. Click on the column heading Remote Host Name to get active connections at the top if the list. The menu Options is used to customize the display; here's my list
  • display Listen, Established, TCP, UDP, IPv6,
  • display port in The Address,
  • sort on refresh,
  • Ask Before Any Action
That last one is interesting; running as admin, you can Close a port or Kill the application with that port.

CurrPorts identifies all ports on the pc (mine number 112 as I write) and if I select all ports with a Remote Address, I see I have 20 connections.

btw: Remote Addresses shown as 127.0.0.1:nnn are local services (like a proxy or AV service), so out of the 20, only two are actually remote - - both HTTP browser connections.

Thank you jobeard. I now have that app running, though have to admit I don't fully understand what I am meant to do with it.
I have disabled LAN and 1394 and the attached report shows is what is left. When I tried to close the Teamviewer connection by right click I got a message saying unable as have to run as admin. Odd, because I am logged on as admin.
The drive seems to blink less when network connections are disabled, but still blinking.CurrPorts grab.jpg

Naa; that's not the display from an admin login; see the attached.

the point is to verify What programs are accessing which domains and thus ensure that no data is leaving your system.

Attachments

• CurrPorts.jpg
    CurrPorts.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 3
Ok, that is odd. I am definitely logged on PC as admin. I get the error message when trying to close ports of selected items. Here is another grab with internet connected.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 1
Back