Is Hello Games finally calling No Man's Sky "complete" with the Omega update?

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Looking back: No Man's Sky is the longest-running labor of love I can recall in over forty years of gaming. Since its release in August 2016, Hello Games has shoveled countless man-hours into it, producing more than two dozen iterations without asking for a dime over its retail price--no subscriptions, no microtransactions, and completely free DLC.

Granted, the game got off to a very rough start, partly thanks to Sony demanding the studio rush an unfinished product out the door and partly thanks to Sean Murray overhyping and misrepresenting it. However, Hello Games has turned it into a Cinderella story, redeeming itself for the dumpster-fire launch.

The developers have worked almost exclusively on No Man's Sky for nearly eight years post-launch. In 2020, they released The Last Campfire, but HG continued putting out NMS content throughout that game's development. In the four years between the two, HG pushed out 94 No Man's Sky patches, with 12 being major content packages.

First four years of No Man's Sky Updates

• Foundation – November 2016
  • Pathfinder – March 2017
  • Atlas Rises – August 2017
  • Next – July 2018
  • The Abyss – October 2018
  • Visions – November 2018
  • Beyond – August 2019
  • Synthesis – November 2019
  • Living Ship – February 2020
  • Exo Mech – April 2020
  • Crossplay – June 2020
  • Desolation – July 2020

So when will it end? Hello Games can't just keep pumping out free content forever – not without some kind of monetization. No Man's Sky's latest update may hold a clue.

On Thursday, HG pushed another huge content drop for NMS called Omega. I believe this might be No Man's Sky's last major update for a few reasons.

First, it's all in the name. Omega means the end. As Merriam-Webster defines it: "The extreme or final part," also, " something or someone designated with the name omega or the Greek letter ω especially denoting the last in position, order, or class." So it seems like a wink and a nod to it being the last iteration.

Mind you, Hello Games does not explicitly indicate anywhere in its patch notes that this is the end of NMS development. Definitely take my speculation with a grain of salt. However, I'm not just making my assumption based solely on the update's name.

Hello Games also announced it's making No Man's Sky free-to-play over the next few days. Starting yesterday, anyone can play NMS. The free trial lasts until 6 pm GMT on Monday, February 19. If you have never played it, it definitely worth a go at no cost.

By itself, this does not indicate that Hello Games is ending NMS development either. However, one last push to get new players does make sense when you are about to close the books on a project, especially in light of my final vital point. The most important reason I think HG is wrapping it up is that it is preparing to go full gear into Light No Fire development.

In December, Sean Murray announced Light No Fire at the 2023 Game Awards Show. The title looks like No Man's Sky set in a fantasy realm. In fact, judging by the trailer, it obviously uses the NMS engine. Therefore, much of the hard work is already done, although, Murray said it's an even more ambitious project. Considering the shear volume of content in its epic space opera, that's a very high bar.

The game still has no release date, and there are probably hours of writing left to do. It has some unique character models, but there are likely many more the team needs to create. So we're probably talking about a significant amount of development left. Even so, considering all the free work the studio has done over the last seven-and-a-half years, it is likely looking to get Light No Fire out as soon as possible.

Will it abandon No Man's Sky entirely in the meantime? Probably not. It still has seasonal expeditions. The latest is the eponymous Omega Expedition. There are also bug and QoL patches that will continue rolling out as needed. In fact, shortly after launching Omega, developers had to rush out the Omega 4.51 patch to fix stability on the Xbox.

The Omega update has a lot of exciting content, including some great rewards for completing the expedition, shared expedition loot, pirating pirate dreadnoughts, and more. If it is NMS's last update, it's going out with a bang, rather than a whimper. Check out all the details in the No Man's Sky Patch Notes.

Permalink to story.

I mean, it had probably hit a point not too long ago where the vast majority of people that were going to buy it, have. Spending much more money on it (when they're no longer making a profit) wouldn't make sense without some sort of recurring payment from said people.

Good game. Even better example that bad games can (and should) be fixed.
It is just the industry has lost both heart and soul and keeps producing
empty shells they call games. Why are there so many rereleases lately?
Because there are no people to replace those who got old and left the industry.
How many times we witnessed when our older games were rebuilt using the same
assets leaving a feeling of something similar but somehow always times worse?
How many times have we watched presentations of the new games made
by those who do not even play them and call them a product?
They squeezed last drops of fun from gaming milking franchises that made them rich.
People should become more picky, refusing to buy new, and returning much more games if they are
of poor quality. And honestly, it will be good if a lot of large gaming companies go out of business.
They are a prison where artistic people cannot create, where they spend their lives losing a chance to make
something they will be remembered for.

Awesome game - I don’t like the constant resource gathering - so I play without it, which is such a cool thing for them to add…they’ve thought of everything during the update cycles..well, everything but 1 thing ..still no major cities, the game feels kind of empty without them - imagine metropolitan planets filled with npcs.

Probably not possible with their current engine..but would’ve been cool

Mad respect for the handling of No Mans Sky with all the free expansions but their next game looks like absolute trite, multiplayer which is a bonafide jumping & cringe simulator filled with Cartmans. It will probably be popular.

Other games that was wholesomely redeemed that I know of was Sword of the stars 2 & I believe Battlefield 2042, it's like there are some guys consultants that can come fix your game.

Meanwhile im waiting for the next real The Elder Scrolls/TES (7)& that looks like it will come out in 2032 for some reason, TES:IV Oblivion and Mafia 3 is the only games I bought a new computer to play, Mafia 3 didn't pan out but TES7 probably will, Skyrim is part V/5 so personally I count TES online as part 6.

Last edited:
Mad respect for the handling of No Mans Sky with all the free expansions but their next game looks like absolute trite, multiplayer which is a bonafide jumping & cringe simulator filled with Cartmans. It will probably be popular.

Other games that was wholesomely redeemed that I know of was Sword of the stars 2 & I believe Battlefield 2042, it's like there are some guys consultants that can come fix your game.

Meanwhile im waiting for the next real The Elder Scrolls/TES (7)& that looks like it will come out in 2032 for some reason, TES:IV Oblivion and Mafia 3 is the only games I bought a new computer to play, Mafia 3 didn't pan out but TES7 probably will, Skyrim is part V/5 so personally I count TES online as part 6.
ESO isn't TES 6. It takes place before the first elderscrolls game before Talos accended to God hood. I, however, am worried about TES6 because many of the original writers that made daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion no longer work at Bethesda. It's part of the reason that so many people think Skyrim isn't as good as people say it is. Oblivion voice acting was bad, but it was funny and added character to the game, skyrim just had a stupid story and bad voice acting

ESO isn't TES 6. It takes place before the first elderscrolls game before Talos accended to God hood. I, however, am worried about TES6 because many of the original writers that made daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion no longer work at Bethesda. It's part of the reason that so many people think Skyrim isn't as good as people say it is. Oblivion voice acting was bad, but it was funny and added character to the game, skyrim just had a stupid story and bad voice acting
I’m worried about TES 6 because, well, have you played Starfield? It’s got some good moments, with absolute boring drab for many hours in-between the very short good bits.

Overall it’s awful.

If that’s the quality coming out of Bethesda these days, TES6 is doomed.

I’m worried about TES 6 because, well, have you played Starfield? It’s got some good moments, with absolute boring drab for many hours in-between the very short good bits.

Overall it’s awful.

If that’s the quality coming out of Bethesda these days, TES6 is doomed.
Frankly, it started with fallout 4. Fallout 4 had a funish gameplay loop but the story is cringe. Starfield is just a bad game all around. Boring story, bad gameplay look and exploration is broken. On top of that it's afraid to offend anyone so there aren't any controversial decisions in it. Even if you make a choice the consequences end up being basically the same.

Last edited:
I tried No Man Sky and got bored when I started dying for the second tier of hostile creatures... I was looking for a more peaceful alien worlds exploration not really odd creatures confrontation... But it may just be me... I enjoy Satisfactory more when considering the building side.

I tried No Man Sky and got bored when I started dying for the second tier of hostile creatures... I was looking for a more peaceful alien worlds exploration not really odd creatures confrontation... But it may just be me... I enjoy Satisfactory more when considering the building side.
There is a mode for that you know

There is a mode for that you know
No I didn't... Nice to now. Still building on Satisfactory is more, well... satisfactory. Build a base in No Man Sky was boring, just floors/walls and devices inside. Satisfactory gives you automation and so on, but also start to get more and more complex.

Maybe it's just me growing bored of gaming...

Back