Hard drive not detected by laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amigosdefox

About 6 months ago my laptop stoped detecting the hard disk. So thinking that the disk was faulty I brought a new disk, but not from the same brand or size. The laptop is an IBM thinkpad 310ed and the disk was 2.1 gb in size. The disk I brought was a western digital 10 GB disk. The guy in the store sayed it didnt matter and that all disks were compatible. However my laptops disk came in a cover with a connector that was connected to the pins, and the guy at the store adapted the cover and the connector to the new disk. I put the new disk in the laptop and tried to fdisk and I got a message saying that there was no fixed disk. I also went to the bios and the disk was not detected. So I thought that the disk might have not been adapted correctly to the cover and to the conector so is there a link were I can see pictures of how to to properly install the hard disk?

If there is a link showing how to connect a disk to your laptop its probably specific to the make and model of the laptop and the hard disk...
Post your specifications ;)

Im not good at laptops so the only thing I know is that the laptop is an IBM Thinkpad 310ED and that the hard drive is a Toshiba(thought it was Western Digital sorry) MK1017GAP 10GB/ATA66

HDD2151. I brought it as an oem version so im not sure which of those numbers is the model.
First I asked for technical support at IBM but they sayed that they were no longer providing support for those models nor selling the parts.

Toshiba support - How do I upgrade my hard disk?
From www.csd.toshiba.com :
Most laptop hard drives can be upgraded. The upgradeability of the hard disk is based on the physical dimensions of the drive and the ability of the system BIOS to support larger hard disk drives.

Toshiba recommends that all hard drive upgrades be performed by a Premier Toshiba Authorized Service Provider (ASP). An ASP can determine how large a drive your system will support, whether or not a BIOS upgrade is needed, what drives are available for your system and perform the upgrade for you. In some cases an ASP may even transfer your data from your old hard disk to the new one.
I know the drive is toshiba, not the laptop but its still something to consider...

Its probably worth trying IBMs online assistant for information about changing your laptops hard disk.

It suggests updating your system's BIOS
How to update the ThinkPad system BIOS

If the latest BIOS doesn't fix the problem then it suggests that you recreate the MBR (Master Boot Record)....
How to recreate the Master Boot Record using FDISK.

1. Boot the system from a boot disk that has the same level of operating system that is installed on the hard disk drive.
2. At the A: prompt type C: and press the Enter key.
3. Type FDISK/MBR and press the Enter key.
4. After the command runs you will come back to the C: prompt.
5. Remove the boot disk and reboot the system.

I would start by check BIOS setting first the fact that I lost the first drive might mean a bad setup or a dead drive controller.
The size shouldn't matter, you'll only be able to use 8 gigs on the disk

I sent the laptop to an unauthorized computer service center since IBM was no longer providing support for that model. They told me that the new disk was detected in other laptops but not in mine and that they would check it out. I forgot to leave the original disk with them. But i figure that there is something physically wrong with the laptop since the old hard drive went from working with no problems to suddenly not being detected.

toshiba laptop hard drive replacment

What can I do to get my laptop see my hard drive. Bios doea recognize but dont go further to install operating system
thanks

well, it seems that the laptop is having problems.
I have a DELL latitude CP that came with a 2GB hard drive, and it's 8 years old, and it is running an 11GB hard drive no problem. So, I don't think size is really an issue hear. I would check to see if there are any pins missing on the hard drive connector AND the hard drive it self. If there are pins missing, that will mess you up very badly. If there are no pins missing, try flashing the BIOS with an upgraded version. If you don't know how to do this or if you're not to good with computers, get someone at a tech store, or maybe a friend that is great with laptops do it, that may fix your problem.

Let me now what happens!

Conor L

HI All,

This is my first post in this forum. Greetings to all. My laptop crashed and when i run hard drive self test i get hard drive self test FAILED (hash)1 - 07.
In this situation is it possible to recover data ?

I got a problem similar to this one but on my desk top

My problem started out with not being able to connect to the internet, my brother and I fixed the problem it was other wires drowning out the contact but that was after we took out the trojon that was replacing my ip address with the incorrect one.

On my computer I have a big red x on my _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A due to this it will not allow me to send the computer back in time due to me not being able to use the drive. I downloaded VundoFix to get rid of the Trojon that was in the computer for some reason it will not remove C:\windows\system32\qlqxzyjc.dllbox. I have tried to go to Device manager uninstall the dvd+rw and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers then restarted the computer and it did not work. I have the following programs to help get rid of all kinds of spy ware it has worked except that one file which I feel is the main problem. Heres a list of what I have.. hijackthis, smithfraudfix, xoftspyse,ewido,registry mechanic, superantispyware, vundofix and launch data recovery. If any one can help me on this I would be very greatful for I have been working on this for 5 days now. Another question I have is if I did manage somehow to delete that .dllbox manually (if possible) would I be able to go back to factory settings, or download the whole program again? Please help if you can. Thanks again for you time and help.
Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back