Hard Drive Problems (Fills up one day and another shows space)

cableman

I installed an 80GB Solid State hard drive as my startup drive with only windows 7 and my basic software; browser, antivirus, etc. Software I felt important to keep as a group on startup. Obviously I did this for a quick boot and put in a second drive for all my files and other programs. I will make a shortcut for the desktop to a file I use frequently in order to keep my solid state drive clean. The problem is that my solid state drive seems to be filling up and I can't understand it since windows 7 and a few software programs along with microsoft updates cannot be filling this drive up from 40GB used space to almost full at 80GB. I have cleaned out virus in the past and used various software recommended by one of the techs on this site and sometimes when we clean it, I end up with 20GB available free space which is correct but now I keep getting filled up to the point of only 5GB or less and I can't find anything using that much space. When we have cleaned for virus before is has indirectly corrected this problem most times but I am virus free now as far as I know. I have run several tests. I am going to clone this drive to a larger one but if there is a problem I don't want to transfer it. Please help me if you have an idea what is happening.

Empty all browser caches, reset max size to 100mb each

run CLEANMGR under every login on the system
then under the ADMIN user, run again and [x] Clean up System Files.

Thank you for the advice but I did these things and to no avail. There is hard drive space being used somehow in files that are either redundant, unnecesary, temp., or otherwise needless data taking up space. I have a solid state hard drive so I have not attempted to defragment it since I have been warned against doing so to solid state drives. I really need help in this matter. I am about to upgrade the size of my drive but I am hesitant to do so until I make sure there are no problems that could pass onto the new drive since I will be using a copy of my current operating system. Thank you for your time. I was only able to clean up almost 2GB, nowhere near what I know can be cleaned.

You are correct; DO NOT DEFRAG an SSD device.

With browser caches limited, the question is What is running creating files?
I assume you hav Windows Update set to AUTO - - reset it to NEVER; rerun the Cleanmgr commands above and reboot.
Now try to monitor disk usage for a while

No I assume that I don't. I never let any software programs auto update with the exception of my anti-virus and even that is on a ask me what to do when updates are available mode. I never ever allow software to add, update, or any further actions it may be programmed to do on it's own to screw up my computer. And I didn't assume, I double checked that nothing had changed.

Back