Hard drive/USB Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidflynn12

My PC crashed four months ago with the classic blue screen and IRQ messages. I eventually got into safe mode and backup critical files(thank god !). The PC kept resetting so i had to reinstall windows. This was very problematic with the reinstall failing numerous times. Eventually i got win xp home reinstalled, but with two versions on the hard drive ?! So when i start up the computer i am offered two versions of win xp to run, i always choose the second. Checkdisk shows four clusters/segments which are unreadable or damaged. I think the best course is to replace my Hard drive. Was is the best way to do this ? buy a external HArd drive, backup(Is there a windows procedure for this) and then install a new hard drive and load everything onto this ? Also i have been having USB problems at the same time. Sometimes my pc does not detect a keyboard, the only way around this is start the PC with only the keyboard connected .

Maybe buy another computer.

The USB HardDrive can be used just by plugging it into any USB 2 port and copy files to it using Explorer (My computer; My documents...)

The boot.ini file holds the login lines you are seeing
You could edit it, and remove the top line "Microsoft Windows..."
But it is possible to stop your computer booting up again, so it's a tad critical.

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

hard drive/usb issues

Thnaks for the update. I thought i would need anew Pc. It is only just over two years old and a alienware PC. Should an alienware PC have such issues and not yet two years old ?!

No PC should fail after only two years of normal use. Good reason to stay away from that manufacturer with future purchases.

By chance, have you checked to see if you have any type of extended warranty with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back