Hardware question

By Prosarius
Jan 3, 2005
  1. I hope this hasn't been discussed elsewhere, but I checked all topics prior and I didn't see anything similar.
    What I need to know is what hardware I need to be able to run a LAN and still have both computers in our home showing separate IP addresses? Our ISP has been less than helpful as each tech we've talked to has given a different answer. The ISP says we have 3 IP addy's available but our router only shows us as sharing 1 IP addy when we're online.At gaming sites, this causes problems.
    Thanks in advance for any enlightenment you can supply.
  2. Nodsu

    Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

    Your router has to support several public IP addresses.

    Usually the setting is under NAT, port forwarding or DMZ configuration and it allows you to map any external IP adresses to any local IPs.
  3. Prosarius

    Prosarius TS Rookie Topic Starter


    Thank you for the info. In future if anyone asks a similar question, you can tell them that a router by it's nature assigns only one outside IP address to all the LAN systems when they access the web,( they show as a shared IP). A switch on the other hand will assign multiple outside IP's if the ISP has supplied them. The drawback to a switch is that it has no hardwired firewall so a good software one is needed on each system.
  4. Liquidlen

    Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

    What is the brand and model of your router?
    By the sound of your last post I am not sure you caught Nodsu answer.
    Many routers will allow you to tunnel through.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...