Hardware reserved memory

jalba

HI,

I am trying to find out why my reserved memory is so high, and what can be done to correct it.

Please see attached.

Thanks in advanced for the assistance.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    63.1 KB · Views: 8
Hi Thanks for your reply. I think @jobeard 's reply covered your issue. If you think you're having RAM issues,the best way to check your RAM is with Memtest86. If you have more then one stick, test the modules one at a time. It is recommended that you test each module 6-8 hours.
https://www.memtest86.com/

Hi @jalba I'm running W10. When I type dxdiag in search I get this. I'm afraid your Capture doesn't tell me very much, but maybe others will reply latter! Thanks for your reply! Have you tried resetting your RAM Sticks?
Capture25.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Here's link from Computer Hope about the dxdiag command. I will hang in there with you, and try my best to answer your issues about RAM. It has been along time sense I ran W7.1, so maybe other TS members will join us.:D I'm still learning myself.;)
Here's articles from Computer Hope that might help you understand your issue??
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001308.htm
https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/dxdiag.htm
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001307.htm
I hope this helps. Let us know how things go!

Last edited:
Hi! @jobeard I hope you approve the above reply. Team work is a good thing!;)
Please add any thing you think that will help the OP.

Last edited:
Hi @jalba I'm running W10. When I type dxdiag in search I get this. I'm afraid your Capture doesn't tell me very much, but maybe others will reply latter! Thanks for your reply! Have you tried resetting your RAM Sticks?
View attachment 84228
I was thinking that maybe this might be the reason why half my RAM is reserved. When I get home, I'm gonna pull out one stick and run the PC and see what happens.

@jobeard @holdum323 I pulled out one of the sticks, and the system did not start. Pulled out the other - same thing. It only started running with the 2 sticks inside.
I checked out the properties of my Geforce 9600 graphics card, and it has an available mem of 2558MB, dedicated mem of 512MB, and a shared system mem of 2046 MB.
Also, I went to msconfig - Boot - Advanced Options, and unchecked the boxes, and nothing has changed.

No one has ever commented, "oh boy, sure glad MS has the Reserved Memory" - - but neither have they been able to avoid it. It's "living with MS" is about all you can do.

Hi! Did you try one stick of RAM in both slots. Pull out both sticks. Then try each stick in different slots. It should boot with one stick, but it may have to be in a certain shot. @jobeard will be more help latter! I'm not good with hardware.;)

Not Multiple Sclerosis -- MicroSoft (hmm, is that a mathematical identity? giggle).

Hi! Did you try one stick of RAM in both slots. Pull out both sticks. Then try each stick in different slots. It should boot with one stick, but it may have to be in a certain shot. @jobeard will be more help latter! I'm not good with hardware.;)
@hodlum323 didn't work.

On another note, I replied to your "descriptor" issue - watch the thread if you didn't notice it by now.

SOME motherboards require memory sticks in pairs, and sometimes in specific slots. Personally, don't move them about, just lift out and later reinsert where they were.

I went into my Registry Editor, then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management, and changed the ClearPageFileAtShutdown to 1.

Upon restarting (and checking DXDIAG), the RAM increased. (see attached).

Attachments

• Capture.3.PNG
    Capture.3.PNG
    11.5 KB · Views: 4
What makes absolutely no sense is that the system will not start with 1 stick of memory, either one and now you show 12 Gb ram but how do you do that with 2 sticks one 8Gb and one 4 Gb? Can you tell us what the two sticks of ram are make and model as well as speed because it sounds like the ram is incompatible frankly.

Back