Harley-Davidson showcases first-ever electric motorcycle

Shawn Knight

Staff member

harley-davidson livewire

Iconic motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson on Thursday revealed an ambitious project called LiveWire, the company’s first-ever electric motorcycle.

The bike packs a three-phase induction motor with an output of 55 kW, or just under 74 horsepower in traditional terms. With 52 lb-ft on tap, it’s enough to propel the electric Harley from 0-60 in just four seconds.

Range, however, isn’t so stellar at just 50 miles. But keep in mind that we’re talking about a concept device here. Should it ultimately make it to market, Harley will no doubt look to improve on this figure if they want riders to take the bike seriously.

If you haven't already figured out, the bike isn’t for sale just yet. Instead, the company will use LiveWire to get insight into rider expectations of an electric Harley. Starting next week, select consumers across the country will get the opportunity to ride the electric hog and provide feedback about the experience to help craft future models.

Marketing an electric bike to a customer base that’s described by Autoweek as half Hell’s Angel and half weekend-warrior poser could be a steep proposition. After all, the brand has earned a reputation for aggressive exhaust tones and the like.

A bike that sounds less like a gas-guzzling monster and more like a fighter jet on an aircraft carrier – Harley’s description, not mine – may not appeal to the same audience, but then again, maybe they are after an entirely different market with LiveWire.

Permalink to story.

Although I think this is awesome, I don't think the HD marketing department realizes no HD biker would buy this. Not all bikers think this way, but most just won't think they would be "tough" riding an electric bike.

Well, it doesn't have the presence of a traditional Harley, but it does sound sufficiently sci-fi, for whatever that's worth.

They could make a separate division within Harley-Davidson to sell this bike under. I think that is really the only way it would have a chance. Almost like a Beats by Dre type thing... Fusion by Harley-Davidson (replace Fusion with whatever they want to call it).

@ikesmasher - I don't know. Wouldn't work for me, or just barely would. 25 miles one way from my apt to my work. I'd get this bike and after a month of use battery life would drop to 48 miles and I'd be SOL. 75-100 miles I think is a more reasonable target distance. Anything shorter than 50 and you are really limiting yourself to in town driving, and for that, just get a Vespa.

@ikesmasher - I don't know. Wouldn't work for me, or just barely would. 25 miles one way from my apt to my work. I'd get this bike and after a month of use battery life would drop to 48 miles and I'd be SOL.
o.o I can see where you are coming from then- im just used to going 5-10 miles to get somewhere.

I want to see the first guy ride that into the annual Sturgis Rally and then get beat to a pulp by the "real" bikers.

That would require them to stop laughing first.

I actually find it to be a really interesting design and I enjoy how it howls as it drives by.

I'm not so sure that it wouldn't sell... I mean, Ducati - the world-famous superbike builder - sells little street bikes that don't look like they belong at all within the Ducati family. But they sell them, and a fair number of them.

Harley-Davidson has an image, a reputation, and a history. But they also need to keep up with the times and diversify to stay alive. Nothing wrong with bringing a whole new demographic into their business model, without killing the side of the business that is all about "hawgs" and hardcore riders.

I can see some people buying them just for the name. Electric cars are going to be the norm in a few years, why not motorbikes as well?

Hey sweet a story about Milwaukee! (sort of)

Bunch of things to consider here..
1) Motorcycle riders don't care much about efficiency. Bikes get far better MPG than cars. I've never owned a Harley, but my sport bikes got about 40 MPG and that's with opening up the throttle and going over 10k RPMs on a regular basis.
2) The 50 mile range isn't a big deal. There are a TON of hardcore Harley riders who would never stand for this, but as someone who's only owned a sport bike, 50 miles is beyond the range of a comfortable ride for many motorcycles already. 50 miles is plenty for a commute or to take downtown on a summer night for easy parking and driving in traffic.
3) The sound: Harley has actually patented the sound of their motorcycles, and I doubt many die hard owners would buy a bike that doesn't wake up a neighborhood with that trademark rumble.

They are obviously targeting a new market here. I think it'll be too slow and not bad-a$$ enough for the sportbike rider, and too quiet without the range and not bad-a$$ enough for the Harley rider.

I think if they market it as a a cool upgrade to a Vespa, they'll do OK. But that's where the cost comes in. I'm guessing it'll be $12k at least, and that'll make it a tough sell.

I don't have a motorbike but my neighbor does. Even though the 50 mile range was enough for him in town during work hours, the weekends would require a larger range. He worked only 5 miles from home, but on the weekends he would pack up and ride 150 miles or more. I would prefer a longer range if I had one, even if it did cover two way travel during the week.

He also had the mufflers modified, to make the bike louder. Not my cup of tea, but the bike is not so loud it is out of my comfort zone either. To be honest I would prefer how quite this electric bike is. But that is just me, and I know I'm a minority on that aspect.

Ambitious project? Concept device?
I can see electric bikes everywhere on streets.
Man.

If they take advantage of the offer from Elon musk to openly share his charging stations, might be nice. Also id like to see some some kind of generator in the front wheel, thatd help push the 50 mpc up a little.

Also id like to see some some kind of generator in the front wheel, thatd help push the 50 mpc up a little.
I wish everyone understood, it takes energy to create energy. The energy created would be burnt up in the generation process. Strapping a generator to a motor will not make a battery last longer. Ohh and by the way; just because the generator is on the front wheel, still makes it just as much drag as if it was connected directly to the motor.

Gas won't be around forever at this rate so next Gen motor bike will be this at is looks like. My cordless lawn mower is all powered by 1x 3 hr charge 40v/40amp Lithium-ion batteries. Other tools uses 20v/20amp Lithium-ion batteries also. Save a lot of not buying any gas for power tools. So why can't you drive one on motor bike.

Nice. I love how it sounds like the cop hovercycle that chases young Kirk in the Star Trek reboot.

I wish everyone understood, it takes energy to create energy. The energy created would be burnt up in the generation process. Strapping a generator to a motor will not make a battery last longer. Ohh and by the way; just because the generator is on the front wheel, still makes it just as much drag as if it was connected directly to the motor.
You should take this ground breaking revelation to Toyota and tell them they got the prius all wrong. they might hire you for millions per year. I think you knew exactly what the previous poster meant (regenerative brake) even if he didn't call it by name.

I really doubt it Rippleman. The amount of ignorance of energy is incredibly high when talking about electric vehicles.

Let me elaborate.
I really doubt it Rippleman. The amount of ignorance of energy is incredibly high when talking about electric vehicles.
Lets backup a bit. What factors are involved in calculating the 50 mile range? Is it highway mileage or stop and go traffic?
I think you knew exactly what the previous poster meant (regenerative brake) even if he didn't call it by name.
No I didn't consider regenerative brake as a form of "generator in the front wheel" to extend the 50 mile range. For one reason, stop and go traffic will reduce the range regardless of regenerative brake usage.

In your defense and possibly the guest defense, yes regenerative brake will slightly extend mileage in stop and go traffic. However on the highway without needing brakes, regenerative brakes will not add to the mileage.

OK. It's obvious the aesthetics department worked long and hard on the styling of this bike to emulate their own, "V-Rod", which in turn is emulating pretty much any Japanese sport bike, save for the noisy, garish, V Twin engine. Still in all, the thing looks like a Tonka Toy, with those nasty plastic covers, trying to hide all the parts that look like they belong inside of a computer, instead of on a motorcycle.

With that said, 0 to 60 in 4 seconds flat, is pretty darn spunky. Hold on real, real, tight when you punch it. That kind of spunky.

As for regenerative braking, because you have used so much energy bring any vehicle up to speed, it's highly doubtful you could ever have a net gain in energy from braking (*). Although I concede that you could certainly cut some of your losses.

(*) Always starting out going downhill might yield energy parity, but it's just not practical.

Hills reverse Newton's "what goes up, must come down axiom", to "what goes down, must always come up". But boys and girls, remember to call your physicist if you stay going up for more than four hours....;)

Back