Harvard student was denied entry in the US over friends' social media activity

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: As the number of travelers who are denied entry in the US by Border Patrol gets higher, it's important to take a look at the reasons why that can happen for you, even if you're a US citizen. It turns out you can be questioned about your friends' social media activity, especially if they may hold views that oppose the interests of the US, or anything that can be deemed as anti-American.

When news broke in July that China's border police were installing surveillance software on tourists' smartphones, that likely didn't surprise anyone. By now, everyone is familiar with China's penchant for surveillance and monitoring, which applies not only to foreigners but also its own people.

Every time you're entering the US, federal agents are allowed to search you and your belongings regardless of whether you are a citizen or a visitor and without a warrant. Their broad authority extends to your personal electronics, and US Customs explained in 2017 that cloud data is off limits, including social media accounts. That wasn't the case for Ismail Ajjawi, a Harvard student from Lebanon who was denied entry in the US after immigration agents sifted through his friends' social media posts and found they held strong anti-American views.

The seventeen-year-old student told The Harvard Crimson that officials at Boston Logan International Airport ordered him to unlock his laptop and phone and spent five hours looking for objectionable information. The officers also questioned him about his political and religious views, and were particularly upset about the ones shared by his friends on social media.

Ajjawi said "I have no single post on my timeline discussing politics," but his visa was nevertheless canceled and he was deported as a result. The good news is that he can reapply for a visa, and Harvard is working with authorities to expedite the process so that he can join his classmates before the classes start on September 3.

Customs & Border Protection searched 33,000 people without a warrant in 2018, which is a significant increase from the 4,500 searches registered in 2015. Starting in June this year, the Trump administration demands foreigners who apply for US visas to give their social media handles to authorities. The FBI also wants to start monitoring popular social platforms like Facebook and Twitter for "potential threats to the US." All of this has invited criticism from privacy advocates like Summer Lopez, senior director of Free Expression Programs at PEN America.

In a press release, Lopez says "this is a move so perverse, so grotesque as to defy explanation. Preventing people from entering the country because their friends critiqued the U.S. on social media shows an astounding disregard for the principle of free speech. The idea that Ajjawi should be prevented from taking his place at Harvard because of his own political speech would be alarming; that he should be denied this opportunity based on the speech of others is downright lawless."

It's worth noting that while you theoretically can refuse to give customs officers access to your devices, that isn't going to make your life easier even if you're a returning US citizen. Experts say the agents have no obligation to allow someone into the country and recommend either carrying burner phones or not bringing any electronics with you at all.

When US border officials testified under oath, the ACLU found that ICE and CBP "are asserting near-unfettered authority to search and seize travelers’ devices at the border, for purposes far afield from the enforcement of immigration and customs laws." Officials can then use the data from searches and share it with law enforcement in the US and around the world, but the ACLU argues "the government cannot use the pretext of the “border” to make an end run around the Constitution."

The problems don't end here, with the US customs scrambling to implement face recognition systems at airports by 2021 despite the obvious privacy and security implications of rushing through this process. The US government is using the pretext of national security to justify these efforts, but according to the Office of the Inspector General, CBP agents are failing to delete traveler data and also admitted that some of it ended up in the hands of hackers last year.

Permalink to story.

I purchased a laptop as a gift to take overseas to a country where the same laptop would have cost twice as much. Brand new...sealed box.

TSA forced me to open the box and then took the laptop out to swab it with ain indicator for explosives.

If I'd known they'd do that I could have saved a lot of money just buying a brand new- open box item.

Testing for explosives, firearms or drugs should be the extent of "search" at the airport. These people letting these clowns with double digit IQ's and triple digit incomes amaze me. They'd have NEVER seen my dirt in my phone and would be treated to one of my burner accounts on Facebook - if I let them get that far.

Held accountable for your acquaintance's social media actions. Good lord.....this is the policy of authoritarian dictatorships not one becoming of such a large old democracy.

Let's be precise here when the impact of such a decision can be so great: Most of these connections are merely acquaintances by definition and not 'friends', such are social media labels.

I purchased a laptop as a gift to take overseas to a country where the same laptop would have cost twice as much. Brand new...sealed box.

TSA forced me to open the box and then took the laptop out to swab it with ain indicator for explosives.

If I'd known they'd do that I could have saved a lot of money just buying a brand new- open box item.

Testing for explosives, firearms or drugs should be the extent of "search" at the airport. These people letting these clowns with double digit IQ's and triple digit incomes amaze me. They'd have NEVER seen my dirt in my phone and would be treated to one of my burner accounts on Facebook - if I let them get that far.

I recently was traveling out of the MSP international airport to Canada and TSA pulled me aside and had me take my HDD out of my laptop so they could swab the inside of the machine. I got extra vocal with the agent when he tried to take my laptop in back to show his supervisor, so I also got brought back to meet the supervisor :)

F@#$ing ID10Ts (WOW censoring ID10T WTF TS)

I recently was traveling out of the MSP international airport to Canada and TSA pulled me aside and had me take my HDD out of my laptop so they could swab the inside of the machine. I got extra vocal with the agent when he tried to take my laptop in back to show his supervisor, so I also got brought back to meet the supervisor :)

F@#$ing ID10Ts (WOW censoring ID10T WTF TS)

My favorite part is when your computer is so advanced that they can't understand it.

I have an Alienware 15" and a 17".

they have 2 M.2 NVME drives and one HDD

These *****S had no idea what the NVME were.

They also didn't like that the sides were glowing different colors...

"wah, I was denied access to the US for associating with people that hate the US"

Grow up. If you chose to be friends with people that hate the US, dont be surprised if we are suspicious of you. Duh. Use some common sense, if you want to come to the US, maybe tell your friends that would see the US burn to the ground to sod off.

People these days dont want to take responsibility for anything they do, and assume the US will just bend over and accept it. News flash, the US has lots of people that want to come here, and most of them are smart enough to not publicly associate with anti-americans.

"Land of the Free"...
"Land of the Free" applies to US citizens, not lebanese students that chose to associate with vocal anti-americans and thinks the US government is just going to IGNORE that. If you want to come here, dont come here covered in post it notes about how horrible we are, we'll tell you to go straight back home.

Whom you associate with says a lot about you as a person. Most of us are taught this at a young age, when we are told not to hang out with the bad kids. I guess they dont teach this in the middle east

Held accountable for your acquaintance's social media actions. Good lord.....this is the policy of authoritarian dictatorships not one becoming of such a large old democracy.

Let's be precise here when the impact of such a decision can be so great: Most of these connections are merely acquaintances by definition and not 'friends', such are social media labels.
So what if they are on social media? You still chose to associate with people that have very negative views about our country. How are we supposed to know you dont share those views? Oh, you SAY you dont? Yeah, that proves it. I'm sure that a suicide bomber trying to get into the country wouldnt admit they were coming here to blow themselves up. If you are a friend with someone that goes on TV and announces they want to murder all the homos, you will be suspect for being friends with someone that has such political opinions. This is what happens when "everything is political" and someone's political leanings are used as an excuse to label them any number of undesirable names and unperson them from society.

When you come from a part of the world that seems to love breeding violent religious extremists, this kind of thing is what happens. If you are just mere acquaintances with them, then UNFRIEND them before trying to get into the very country they dislike so much. Again, most of us are taught at a young age that you shouldnt associate with people that will make you look bad by acquaintance, like drug dealers and criminals. This still applies if you are a precious PoC coming from a foreign country.

The NSA is grateful that you shared this information publicly. Now, they can share it with the border patrol. "Freedom is just another word."

"wah, I was denied access to the US for associating with people that hate the US"

Grow up. If you chose to be friends with people that hate the US, dont be surprised if we are suspicious of you. Duh. Use some common sense, if you want to come to the US, maybe tell your friends that would see the US burn to the ground to sod off.

People these days dont want to take responsibility for anything they do, and assume the US will just bend over and accept it. News flash, the US has lots of people that want to come here, and most of them are smart enough to not publicly associate with anti-americans.

"Land of the Free"...
"Land of the Free" applies to US citizens, not lebanese students that chose to associate with vocal anti-americans and thinks the US government is just going to IGNORE that. If you want to come here, dont come here covered in post it notes about how horrible we are, we'll tell you to go straight back home.

Whom you associate with says a lot about you as a person. Most of us are taught this at a young age, when we are told not to hang out with the bad kids. I guess they dont teach this in the middle east
Actually, land of the free applies to anyone who wants to come here and not be oppressed. This country was built on immigration and the desire to make a better life for yourself. He lives in a country where these people are unavoidable. However, id argue that he is trying hard to make a better life for himself since he is going to Harvard. Further, immigration law has things in place where very intelligent people can get visas easily. We do this because people that intelligent are capable of contributing far more than many home grown citizens if they actually choose to stay here, which they overwhelmingly do.

While you're playing videogames and hating immigrants these people are out curing diseases and improving our lives through engineering.

I'm also not saying we let all people in from these countries, but a 17 year old kid going to Harvard has far better things ahead of him than being the middle Eastern version of a redneck. The anti US people in other countries are usually stupid bigots who will never amount to anything just like they are here.

Associate with terrorists and others who hate this country and get pulled aside for further questioning and examination.....that's exactly what's supposed to happen at our borders. Why does this seem like such a surprise to so many snowflakes? This is also what happens at every other border entry point at every other country on the planet.

So what if they are on social media? You still chose to associate with people that have very negative views about our country. How are we supposed to know you dont share those views? Oh, you SAY you dont? Yeah, that proves it. I'm sure that a suicide bomber trying to get into the country wouldnt admit they were coming here to blow themselves up. If you are a friend with someone that goes on TV and announces they want to murder all the homos, you will be suspect for being friends with someone that has such political opinions. This is what happens when "everything is political" and someone's political leanings are used as an excuse to label them any number of undesirable names and unperson them from society.

When you come from a part of the world that seems to love breeding violent religious extremists, this kind of thing is what happens. If you are just mere acquaintances with them, then UNFRIEND them before trying to get into the very country they dislike so much. Again, most of us are taught at a young age that you shouldnt associate with people that will make you look bad by acquaintance, like drug dealers and criminals. This still applies if you are a precious PoC coming from a foreign country.

The solution you propose is if you choose to use social media then you should only stay connected with your closest friends. Disregarding all requests to follow and 'friend' everyone outside of that tight knit sphere, failing a thorough and extensive vetting of their entire historical social media portfolio!

The reality is that isn't how the majority of the world population views their usage of social media.

You're suggesting everyone change their attitudes on the danger that the 357th person they just clicked casually 'accept' to is someone who has a slight interest to the department of homeland security.

I advocate every country should have an ultimate right to refuse any foreign national from entering their borders. However, that has be tempered with a carefully considered realistic expectation on the entry requirements. This isn't it.

Being held responsible by border control for someone else's social media posts is no more acceptable than treating someone as guilty of another's crimes because they went to the same college as them for two years, or lived two doors down on their street and greeted occasionally. You could simply deny their friends request online, but in a civilised society that the USA professes to lead the world the inclination is to be inclusive and allow tenuous links on social media to these acquaintances, very tenuous at best in most circumstances. That is not a crime.

These are the actions of a paranoid authoritarian regime.

As a non-US citizen (and on top of that, a brown person from a country of brown people), whenever I hear these stories I wonder what would happen if I were to visit the US nowadays and have to deal with border agents asking about my social media profiles.

Will they label me as a potential terrorist and deny entry when I explain to them that I don't use social media, and don't have any social media profiles? I wonder if I should create throwaway accounts in advance for such an occasion, just in case...

My favorite part is when your computer is so advanced that they can't understand it.

They don't even know what they're looking for! Even if you're one of the people that somehow do believe in this overly-invasive process you should be upset at how your tax dollars are being spent on inept employees.

US Citizen here and I have VERY negative views regarding our country. We breed tons of Violent Religious/Nationalist extremists too!

WAH

hahahaha yeah that sounds a lot like my system, but I have Asus zephyrus. They had no idea what they were looking at...

I feel sorry for you. The abject fear that you express must be something to deal with.

Easier solution is just ban countries with historic extremist terrorist organizations and actions. AKA Lebanon, Afghanistan, Somalia, Iran etc. etc. Really no downside security wise.

Last edited:
Well that didn't take long... Congrats Techspot. Another "successful" political thread...
When this applies to everyone, even US Citizens, I think the need to inform outweighs any political connotations projected on it by readers of the article.

Unless, of course, you GaS. Maybe some distant, long-lost fakebook friend you have posted something and the next time you go through customs, you get denied entry to the US?

As a non-US citizen (and on top of that, a brown person from a country of brown people), whenever I hear these stories I wonder what would happen if I were to visit the US nowadays and have to deal with border agents asking about my social media profiles.

Will they label me as a potential terrorist and deny entry when I explain to them that I don't use social media, and don't have any social media profiles? I wonder if I should create throwaway accounts in advance for such an occasion, just in case...

Fair comment. I was born in the US and left while I was a young man. I wouldn't consider going back for a visit if this is how paranoid and distrustful the authorities have become.

Easier solution is just ban countries with historic extremist terrorist organizations and actions. AKA Lebanon, Afghanistan, Somalia, Iran etc. etc. Really no downside security wise.
And perhaps they should add the US, Britain, Germany, and all the other countries with historic extremist terrorist organizations, too.

"Land of the Free"...

Speak for yourself. You certainly don't represent all Americans. The double standard here is astounding. If you applied that logic to Trump he would never be allowed anywhere near the US. His friends include ruthless dictators, sex traffickers, the leader and higher ups at the KKK including david duke, billionaires who made their money by conning average americans, guys who made their reputation from foreclosing on veteran's homes while they were away on duty, and much much more.

I find any argument of incrimination by the company you keep extremely unswaying.

I believe there are people who come to the US with the intent of being part of a terrorist cell, and if there's actual intel to believe that is the case I'm all for denying visas (or approving it and putting a lot of surveillance in place.)

The problem is getting and analyzing that intel is not easy. Serious career professionals can get it wrong. Asking a random front line TSA or customs person to do that based on Facebook posts does not sound like a high quality process.

As to this specific case, it's hard to have an opinion without seeing any of the data. Did someone tell a simple joke like ones you might here from any US late night talk show host? Or were they actually organizing logistics around getting materials for explosives? The article has no details.

Back