Haswell-powered Chromebooks reportedly coming at IDF

Scorpus

Staff member

According to a report from PCWorld, new Chromebooks powered by Intel's 'Haswell' processors are expected to be announced at the Intel Developer Forum, which runs from September 10-12 in San Francisco.

Intel's general manager of software and services, Doug Fisher, will allegedly take the stage on Wednesday to deliver a keynote discussing the new devices. A Google executive will join him to discuss the optimization of Android and Chrome for Intel processors.

haswell-powered chromebooks idf google intel chrome os chromebook haswell intel developer forum

It's expected that new OEMs - other than Google, HP, Lenovo, Acer and Samsung - will start producing Chromebooks with Haswell processors inside. Typically Chromebooks fall into the lower price segment of the market (Acer's Chromebook starts at $199), and it's possible new devices will pack Intel's low-power Y-series chips with a 4.5W sDP designed for fanless tablets.

New high-end Chromebooks may also be unveiled, packing a higher-end Haswell processor. Google's $1299 Chromebook Pixel, which features a 12.5-inch 2560 x 1700 display, uses a 1.8 GHz dual-core 'Ivy Bridge' CPU, and it's possible new devices may be released with similar specs and an upgraded Haswell CPU.

Adoption of Chromebooks, especially Google's Chromebook Pixel, has been relatively slow, with consumers preferring to purchase a cheap tablet or low-end Windows-powered laptop over a system running Chrome OS. Google's Chrome OS is designed primarily for running web applications, which has turned many away from buying a PC often referred to as a "glorified web browser".

Google are hoping that by including more powerful and more battery friendly chips in their Chromebooks, the systems will begin to gain momentum. However, with Android dominating cheap device sales, it may be a case of Google's OSes competing against each other.

Permalink to story.

I thought the point of Chromebooks was that they didn't need much horsepower so seems a bit counter productive to be churning out them with the latest and greatest CPUs.

That would be rather useful. This is the mobile device age. Everyone is on the go and people need something that will last a while and if they can save power, they should go for it. I believe there are probably a lot of benefits behind using a Haswell. I will probably go into more research on these Haswells myself lol.

Lol they dumped windows and went with Chrome for free to pay for the overpriced intel has been chips

Google Docs has to be improved before I can switch to a Chromebook. It just doesnt have the features of MS Word.

Google's $1299 Chromebook Pixel
huh? I've failed to find gold harware key, that puts on the screen message "I'M RICH AND YOU ARE NOT", its useless without it, better buy 7 vertu phones for everyday use, or pink iphone with gold & dimonds cover

Back