Have a 20GB RAID0 array, want to install Linux on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

Hello all,

I'd like to install Red Hat 9 on my 20GB RAID0 array. I was wondering about partitioning setups to use. How much space to give /boot, /, swap, /home, /var, /usr, /tmp etc.

I know /boot should be 50-100M, swap no-brainer, / a good amount of space, but what I'm really not sure about is the rest, /usr, /var etc. And then /home will use up all the rest of the space, right?

I could do the partitioning right from Windows with Partition Magic 8. Should I? Or should I just use Disk Druid...

Thanks

New problem: Linux installer does not recognize my RAID0 array.

What happened: Ran setup and everything, got to Disk Druid and "hdb" was not there.

Hypothesis: Thought this was a simple problem with a simple solution. WRONG.

What I did: Downloaded the VIA Linux drivers off viaarena.com -> there
Used the .img file with rawwrite.exe off the RH9 disc, thence made a Linux driver disk.
Booted from RH9 CD and typed: "linux dd" then enter.
Setup ran fine, and did everything it should, asked me if I had a driver disk etc. Ran fine when I told it where it is & what it's for.
Continued on to Disk Druid.
Still no "hdb" :(

Notes: The RAID controller is a VIA VT6410 and both drives are 10GB WDC AC310200R's.
The RAID driver was designed for RH7.2 <- is that my problem?

Conclusion: I need to know how to install and configure this, if appropriate.
Does Fedora or a newer version of Red Hat support this controller? I don't think VIA has made RAID controllers before.

As far as I have seen, RAID arrays don't show up as standard hdx/sdx entries in /dev. At linux bootup, look at the messages and see if and how it detects your RAID controller and what names it gives to the virtual disks.
I haven't dealt with any IDE RAID arrays in Linux so I don't have a clue how it could be called. It might be sth like c0d0 as in "controller 0, disk 0" (that's how it looks on our Compaq server at work AFAIK).

Originally posted by Nodsu
As far as I have seen, RAID arrays don't show up as standard hdx/sdx entries in /dev. At linux bootup, look at the messages and see if and how it detects your RAID controller and what names it gives to the virtual disks.
I haven't dealt with any IDE RAID arrays in Linux so I don't have a clue how it could be called. It might be sth like c0d0 as in "controller 0, disk 0" (that's how it looks on our Compaq server at work AFAIK).

Linux isn't installed yet, I'm trying to install it on the RAID array and it's not recognized by the installer.

The RH installer itself is a Linux, it shows you the kernel messages as any other while it boots up. If not, choose the "expert" or text mode install method.

Actually, if you go with Disk Druid, shouldn't it offer you some sort of a combo box or sth showing all the drives it has found?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back