Have to take out battery everytime to turn on laptop

Hi everybody

I have limited knowledge of computer and software and I am facing some problem in turning on my laptop. I wud really appreciate if somebody can help me out.

I have HP Pavilion, windows vista. I have a problem in turning on the laptop after everytime I close the lid or after sometime of inactivity.

A light starts flashing on the power button. If I try to turn on the laptop by pressing the power button, It would not start unless I take the battery out and disconnect the cord. After I put the battery back, light on the power button stops flashing and I am able to turn on the laptop with the single push of power button.

Sometime if I press ctrl alt delete and keep pressing the power button for a very long time may be 10 or 15 minutes, it would turn on. However it does'nt work everytime and then I take out the battery and put it back to turn it on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The battery might be bad. How old is it? What happens if you leave the battery out and only use the AC adapter? Does the laptop still refuse to turn on?

Back