Having trouble with SSD

For Christmas, I got parts to build my new pc. I didn't want to buy more than I needed so I kept my old hard drive from my old pc. One of the parts I bought was an SSD. So went to another website and I followed the instructions to copy the storage on the hard drive to SSD. I am not sure if this exactly worked b/c the day after I wasn't able to even start up my pc. My mom had then figured out the problem. I then didn't want to do anything to the SSD/Hard drive and break my pc... so I left it alone. But now I currently want to set up the SSD and I really need help. Is there I was I can start fresh. To delete all the clones? Start from the very beginning

Attachments

• Disk management.PNG
    Disk management.PNG
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
First you need install media for the operating system you currently have installed. Then you will need to extract the activation code from your operating system.

I assume you are running Windows 10. I will also assume it is the 64 bit system. But which edition, is it Home or Professional?

To find out which edition and bit version of Windows you are using navigate to the following page.
  • Control Panel\System and Security\System [shortcut: press and hold "Windows Key" and then press "Pause"]
Either way you can create the media you need with the following utilities.
You can use this utility to extract the activation code.
Once you have both of those components you are ready to start a clean install. You can use Window's install media to delete and create system partitions. So there is no need in worrying about those before hand.

Hopefully you will not need the activation key, but it is always safest to have it handy. I've never had to enter my keys but I have them recorded and handy if I should ever need them. Microsoft has a record online of all systems that has been activated. Letting Windows activate itself online has always retrieved my keys for me.

So I have Windows 10 Home and it is a 64-bit. Also, what is a media? And do I need to back up my drive b/c I want to download all my games again?

So I have Windows 10 Home and it is a 64-bit.
That's good, we now know you know which Windows version you have installed.
Also, what is a media?
That is just a term used to represent CD, DVD, BD, USB Stick, and etc. For upgrading you can simply mount the ISO and install without using any media. But it is a good idea to have the install files on media should something go wrong. Especially if you are doing a clean install. This way you are not left empty handed should your OS not boot up.
And do I need to back up my drive b/c I want to download all my games again?
I'm assuming you meant you didn't want to re-download all your games.

1. If you are using Steam client, you have backup and restore options for all your games. You can backup and restore individually or all at once.
  2. If you are using Origin client, I'm not seeing a backup option or a way to navigate to installed files. You may not have an option other than to download all Origin's games again. [Note: I currently have issues with my Origin account so this could just be my account]
  3. If you are using uPlay client, you have an option to locate installed games. So all you need to do is copy your uPlay game folder.
  4. If you are using GoG Calaxy client, you have an import folder option under settings. So all you need to do is copy your GoG Galaxy game folder.
With that said I can't tell you where you have your games installed. You should know that for yourself. I've created a game folder on a Data Drive [D:\Games\], which is where I install all my game clients and games. Should I need to reinstall Windows, my data drive is not touched. Therefor all the games are there, I just need to fix the install locations again.

You only need a clean partition to install a clean copy of Windows. Your whole drive doesn't need to be cleaned

Once you have both of those components you are ready to start a clean install. You can use Window's install media to delete and create system partitions. So there is no need in worrying about those before hand.
The built in feature in Windows Install will allow for deletion, creation, formatting, stretching, and shrinking of partitions.

Back