HD trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiscountryboy

hey guys i recently had a maxtor hd(160gb) ide die on me....so i replaced it with another maxtor 80gb sata....which also died on me both drives determined dead or failing by the powmax utility so i tried a seagate 250gb sata and its rather slow so any ideas on who makes a good sata 150 hard drive roughly 200-300 gb in size?

thanks a bunch

Maxtor and Seagate...but if that many hard drives failed, then i would suspect it has something to do with your motherboard.

I have a 300gb seagate sata in one machine and a 250gb in another and they do not run slow at all. I would suspect you have a hardware problem as allready noted.

It's not unsual at all to get two bad hard drives. Did those drives work at one time, or did they fail over a period of time?

Another thing worth mentioning is memory can create issues which appear identical to drive/file system problems. They can also fool drive diagnostic utilities which rely on memory. It's unusual, but it happens.

Bad motherboard? Unlikely... I'd take my chances with two bad drives. But yes, this could be possible. So could a failing CPU, two bad drive cables, or power supply. But I'd rank these much lower on the probability scale.

Rick said:
... I'd take my chances with two bad drives. But yes, this could be possible. So could a failing CPU, two bad drive cables, or power supply.
Depending upon the brand name of the box, it could also EASILY be a bad controller. AS to cables -- it takes some bad USER handling to mess'm up.

Do you overclock? Overclocking on motherboards with unlocked SATA ports can cause data to become corrupt.

He said something about a Powmax utility and i know Powmax is a horrible brand of PSU so maybe it is the power supply.

correct the powmax utility is a utility that maxtor supplies for diagnosing its hard drives...on thing i failed to mention is that the 2 sata drives that were mentioned were from 1 custom built rig...and the ide drive is in a compaq presario ...ive ran memtest on both machines and it came back flawless, is there any program that i can run to see if there are any problems with my cpu or the mobo? and yes each of the 3 drives did work at one time and the 250gb sata one still works, its just sluggish

check the power supply may have rail voltage issues
memory tests aren't the greatest thing
remove a stick see if machine speed improves
someone mentioned removing a stick of 512 left one 512 in and machine ran faster
have heard there is not much affect in speeds under normal conditions with over 1gb of memory thats using standard ddr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back