HDD: Cache or Not to Cache

Cycloid Torus

As per Microsoft: "turning disk write caching on may increase operating system performance; however, it may also result in the loss of information if a power failure, equipment failure, or software failure occurs"

I would like opinions on this. I just realized that I have not been offered the choice of safety vs performance in the last couple of iterations of the Windows OS. For years I have chosen 'no cache' for HDD, selecting safer but slower. Now, for a number of years, I have not been offered the choice.

Since I do not have UPS on my systems, I feel 'no cache' is appropriate.

For those inclined towards safety, you might appreciate this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/324805/how-to-manually-turn-disk-write-caching-on-or-off

Performance vs Safety for HDD vs SSD vs Flash Drive: thoughts?

Performance vs Safety for HDD vs SSD vs Flash Drive: thoughts?
You have valid concerns, especially where you have precious / irreplaceable content. That comment ought to seed some serious thoughts.

IMO, SSD & Flash are not material to the question.

You are correct that with caching and a premature failure, the disk will become corrupt - - and you're forced to rely upon a Backup/Restore cycle[1]. W/O caching, you just loose the data still in buffers.

[1] what is corruption and how severe is it? VERY hard to decide/diagnose. It may be that little critical (ie system) data is involved and a simple Repair will be sufficient.

Back in the day, we had a Mac with a caching HD and it was wonderful - - but then we didn't suffer lockups or BSOD either.

Meh I turn it on for all my HDD's never had a problem with it.. saying that though if you live in an area prone to blackouts and the like then just use an UP's which will give the HDD's plenty of time to finish writing to the disk and for you to shut down

Back