Hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemfedup2

is there a way of putting 2 hdd's togeather and makeing the computer think
that it is one big hard drive?
i installed a sec hdd as a slave but did not get what i was looking for.
thanks

that is called RAID. u either have to have a MOBO with the function or by a pci controller.

just downloaded new bios supposed to have raid drivers.
i am vaigue about what raid is and how to do it could you baybe explain a little and point me in the right way?
i think its supposed to support 0, 1, 2, 3 or something to that effect.
to do what i'm trying to accomplish both hdd's have to be the same right?
wich raid am i needing to use and how to you set it up?
covered raid in class but only what kinds there were but not how
thanks

It is wisest not to use Raid, if you are unsure about it
Raid can remove your entire OS and data

If you still want to learn to use it, there's lots at Google searches, but again, I wouldn't.
Just use the secondary drive as a backup drive

raid 0 or 5

OK took your advice and googled and read allot of stuff but I'm still unclear
besides redundancy, which would have better performance... raid 0 or 5
or one big fat hard drive.
i understand why a business would use it for redundancy but as for a
simple workstation only wanting not to have to worry about filling up a hard drive
and just wanting to keep it easy and just have one c: drive so to speak
but wanting to have the best performance IE speed of read/write and access
time. allot of vide recording and stuff
which one would be cheaper also would like to start tomorrow
thanks your help is much appreciated

but which one would be better, buy big hard drive or do raid? don't care about redundancy
at this point just speed / performance ? i guess that the main question

RAID 0 would speed up the computer with two hard drives for gaming and the like. it would be faster than a big hard drive.

so if i want 300gb with redundancy i use raid 5 and tomorrow i go to say best buy or computer store and buy how many raid cards (i need 3 drives right?)
and three 150 gb hdd's or do i buy two 150's and one 350gb

if raid 0 one card and two 150's correct?

please be patient i don't want to mess it up i plan on shopping tomorrow

come on guys don't give up on me yet we are almost there i think i'm about to figure out what to do. i forgot to ask i think can i do raid 0 or 5 with xp pro or do i have to buy new os
i seem to remember it loading or giving me the option to load raid drivers on install of xp pro

Looks like your board supports Raid already
Therefore you just need two same size HardDrives
You may need to download your Manual to see which Sata ports are the Raid ports on your Motherboard

Plug the two HardDrives in to the respective Sata ports on the Motherboard
Go into your CMOS Setup (DEL or some key on system startup)
Enable Raid
Go from there

cool
so to make it clear to my inpenatrable brain
i can do this with xp pro and is more efficient than one big hard drive right?

ok to be sure that i understand this properly
i can do this with hp pro and it is more efficient than one big fat hard drive.....right
i don't need new software?

have to make this longer ok but not to overlook first question ok

will this effect my video? posted question on proper link but video is for the lack of a better word jittery or robotic.
approx 1500mhz cpu
even overclocked to 2300mhz (cpu cool used nvidia x 4 selection) 200mhz front bus speed
high speed inter net

have stock gateway desktop and hp laptop both approx 1500mhz cpu and they out perform
computer in main subject.

thought maybe bios to old or hard drive to full for virtual memory. not the case; removed
enough stuff to have 8 gb open

browser slower than it should be IE7 downloads slower than other two computers and
during video playback (Internet) hdd light flickers allot which leads me to believe hdd
2 slow or something like that. other two out perform same line same basic settings
????? even upgraded bios and i that you guys very much for that info.
specs listed in drop down selection if needed.

please answer fist question first as i used lenghten reply to cover overall but secondary
question.
thanks

Oh yeah I keep forgetting to answer
Yes works with Xp anything

Also everything (drivers and display, you name it) will be the same, except system overall faster.
Only issue is it can put more work on each HardDrive, and if one fails, all your system software will be gone (ie using Raid 0)

it will be the same as normal computer running on one hard drive correct? (raid 0)

if i use raid 5 for redundancy
A: do i need a card B: are all hdd's the same or say 150gb 150 gb and 300
for the third one? or do i just need another 150gb for redundancy.
c:same question xp pro ok for raid 5?
d: if i use raid 0 can i gost or back up like i only had one drive? this question for another time
but I've never understood how to back up an entire disk so that in the event of a catastrophic
meltdown so that i dont have to start from scratch, so I've been winging it anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Ghost should work fine with hardware RAID, but not with software RAID (cuz the OS creates the stripe, and you don't have your OS in DOS).
Not sure if Symantec supports it either, you will need Ghost Server

I'm concerned that I cannot answer your questions in depth
1. It would take take too long, and the answers are very in depth
2. Raid requires a lot of experience to use and experiment with.

There are drivers; settings; OS limitations; Software/Hardware; Striping; Mirroring; Raid types; backup (which is not all that good in certain configurations); warnings. Really the list is big, of issues to deal with.
In most cases it's best not to use Raid if you are unsure.
I cannot provide anymore indepth information (or even answer single questions all the time) there's just too much info that goes with Raid, and if I miss one point, I could be counted as misleading you. There's no simple answers here.

i appreciate you guys so very much your a GOD send
i haven't received any input on other questions about video problems or browser ie7 to slow
downloads are very slow after sp3 install especially(deraged and system cleanup before install per directions) Mobo: KT333-8235 i haven't found a site that wont charge an arm and and leg for manual can you help?
if all else fails read thee instructions :) LOL

video? posted question on proper link but video is for the lack of a better word jittery or robotic.
approx 1500mhz cpu
even overclocked to 2300mhz (cpu cool used nvidia x 4 selection) 200mhz front bus speed
high speed inter net

have stock gateway desktop and hp laptop both approx 1500mhz cpu and they out perform
computer in main subject.

thought maybe bios to old or hard drive to full for virtual memory. not the case; removed
enough stuff to have 8 gb open

browser slower than it should be IE7 downloads slower than other two computers and
during video playback (Internet) hdd light flickers allot which leads me to believe hdd
2 slow or something like that. other two out perform same line same basic settings
????? even upgraded bios and i that you guys very much for that info.
specs listed in drop down selection if needed.
help
thanks i have fath i you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back