HDMI with sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmileb

I would like to upgrade my Intel X48 based (MSI X48C Platinum) machine to allow HDMI signal including sound to an HD TV. I have looked on Newegg at HDMI video cards, and while there are several pages of them, I do not seem to be able to resolve the sound issue. In looking at the port configuration on the cards, I do not see any provisions for a "sound in" receptacle. Do HDMI video cards automatically process sound? My inclination is to believe they do not. Can someone point me to some PCIE X16 cards that provide an audio signal via the HDMI?

The ATI 4xxx series cards have HDMI output with sound output. For example:

ATI Radeon HD™ 4350 Graphics Technology – Key Features

* Upscale Beyond 1080p - Watch the hottest Blu-ray movies or other HD content at full 1080p display resolution and beyond.

* Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD 2) - UVD 2 frees up your CPU for other tasks so you get The Ultimate Visual Experience™ for the most processing-intensive content.

* HDMI - Enjoy the latest audio technologies using HDMI with 7.1 digital surround sound support.

The ATI 4xxx series cards have HDMI output with sound output. For example:

ATI Radeon HD™ 4350 Graphics Technology – Key Features

* HDMI - Enjoy the latest audio technologies using HDMI with 7.1 digital surround sound support.

JMMD, Thanks for the reply. I have not taken the time to look at the suggested video card. Is the audio for HDMI pulled right off the motherboard? Is a back panel or internal jumper necessary for the sound?

JMMD, Thanks for the reply. I have not taken the time to look at the suggested video card. Is the audio for HDMI pulled right off the motherboard? Is a back panel or internal jumper necessary for the sound?

The sound does come through the motherboard (via the SATA cable from your DVD drive, or 4 pin S/PDIF if connected)
ATI HD4xxx and HD5xxx cards support 7.1 sound over HDMI
nVIDIA cards support 5.1 sound over HDMI if you attach a 2 pin S/PDIF cable to the corresponding 2 pin header on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back