Heads up on new threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuterGeekGirl

StopSign

Summary:
Disables security software. Purports to be security software.

Category:
Adware - displays numerous popups recommending purchase of various Acceleration Software products. Firewall Killer - interferes with operation of several personal firewalls. Loader - quietly installs other files. Exploit - uses social engineering and stealth tricklers to gain control of the system.

See full article here (and thanks to PestPatrol for the info):

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/S/StopSign.asp#TOP

that is one nasty spyware, since it claims it is a virus scanner i think they will infect a lot of people's computers

That is some nasty adware indeed! I certainly don't have good things to say about the company that created it.

I've downloaded a few tweaks and small programs from several reputable sites, but this scares the you know what out of me. I don't think I'll be doing that anymore unless I have heard some good things first. It sure seems like it would be very hard to get rid of.

Here at work we have blocked that site using WebSense, just to be on the safe side! No one here s/b looking for virus software, but ya just never know!

You know, it's amazing how this stuff tricks people so much! I worked on a computer that belonged to my girlfriend's cousins's mom and Ad-Aware 6.181 detected about 300 traces of spyware. Most of those were cookies, I admit, but a rather large portion of them were programs.

I'm glad I keep tabs on what goes on this PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back