heat proportional to energy use?!?

halo71

This may be a dumb question but....

Have any of you guys seen this commercial on TV selling this "wonder" box that goes inline before your breaker box on your house? It is said to save energy and reduce utility bills yada...yada...yada....But the thing that I question is their claim that "excess heat generated from devices such as stereo amps, electronics etc. is due to electricity that is being wasted!" "And this box reduces wasted electricity thus reducing heat output and saving energy!."

Now I'm no Einstein but does that mean that when your processor on your PC is overheating that its wasting electricity??? I think not......or maybe I'm the dumba$$ here. Can someone clarify this for me please?? lol.....

The only way I can see that anything that could work is to basically under power the appliances and it wouldn't have a way of telling, and would likely be pretty harmful to some things, but I haven't seen the commercial so I don't know its claims.

No, if your processor is overheating that doesn't mean its 'wasting' electricity. When you put a car engine under full load it gets hotter, but its not really wasting energy. I think the only thing you could maybe argue there is that its operating less efficiently and perhaps someone might twist that into wasting, but they aren't the same thing.

I thought it was a load of BS. But that is sure what they are advertising!

Thanks......

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. These are scam devices like the tornado car air intake adaptor, the magentic gas adjuster for cars, the juiceman juicer (where you can add 30 years to your life) and tons of other fantastical and some of them downright criminal devices.

If it really worked, everyone would have one.
Word of mouth sells better than any pitch man.

(I know, my bachelor's degree is in marketing)

The best thing to save electricity in your house are 3 things:

1. Your finger. (turn things off!)
2. Insulation.
3. energy efficient appliances like AC and your boiler

Any excess heat is wasted energy.

A proportion of the petrol you burn is making the engine hot, and even if you run your heater full bore, it's wasted energy.

Entropy.

I haven't heard about this magic box, I'll look at it straight after I've sent my $1000 to the deposed Nigerian Prince - who's gonna pay me back triple!

Back