Heating problem and shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharad88

hey there!!!
i've been dealing wid a peculiar problem wid my desktop..
first ill supply u guys wid the specs..
i have a P-35 Intel MoBo,Q6600 core 2quad,MSI 9600GT,400w psu,and 500Gb HD!!
the problem i have is of heating up..
i ran speedfan on my PC..and im getting these ratings..
GPU-43c
CPU-49c
HD-43c
core temp-54c,49c52c,49c(the temperature in the respective cores)
are these temperatures normal??wat should be the normal temperature for my desktop??

couple of months back..my HD n GPU was below 40..around 33-35..n CPU would rarely go up..but now it happens quite often..
i recently started my computer and it gave me a cumulative temperature for cores around 58c..which in ne PC is quite high!!!!!!
these rating are when im not playing ne games or watching movies!!!

i noticed this problem only when my games started crashing!!!it is quite weird..as the CPU is still on..but the display goes off..
this even happened while playing a rmvb file!!!!!
guys help me out wid finding the ideal temperature for my PC and also a possible solution to this problem!!!plz inform me if the temperatures are a cause of concern..
thank you..
peace
shady
ps..my cabinet fan and CPU fan are working fine..or atleast they look so!!!

read the FAQ's about overheating.

to fix:

1. Buy thermal grease and electronics degreaser. Degrease the old CPU with the cleaner then spread a THIN amount of new thermal grease on the die of the CPU and the bottom of the fan.
2. If that doesn't work, get a better cooling fan/system
3. buy extra muffin fans. Route them so exhaust is on the top and back and intakes are on the bottom

that's as about as much as you can do.

thanks for the reply...ill surely try to implement wat u said...
another thing..how can i know wats optimum for my PC???how can i know the ideal temperature for my CPU??
n im from India which has a rough and hot weather..so i guess the temperature would be hot right??

Speedfan is many times unreliable with respect to temperature reporting, it more or less publishes a "feel good/ tells you what you want to hear" report, with generally low ball temp readings, a least in many cases that have been reported here.

If you have an Intel, Intel board, (which I sorta doubt), you can download "Intel Desktop utilities" directly from Intel's website. Other than that, does your board come with proprietary monitoring software? If so, you might want to give that a shot.

Meanwhile, give Tedster's suggestions a shot.

Those temps are kind of high for the core series but not astronomical (P4 prescottt chips oftan idled in the 50C range); most cpus are rated for 80C although I wouldn't make a habit of running them that hot. As others have sugested better thermal compound or a better heatsink (espesically if you're useing the stock intel cooler) will lower your temps. Another suspect area for the problem is the power supply. 400w is theoretically enough for that configuration if the psu is actually capible of outputting what it is rated at (many cheap psu's don't output anything near what they are rated). Reguardless 400w is on the low side for a quad core with a 9600Gt and you may want to consider replaceing it if you plan on future upgrades, especially if it is from a poor or unknown brand. Playing a game runs the cpu and gpu at high levals which stresses the psu and may cause the system to lock up or shut down if the PSU is not up to the task.

y doubt if i have an Intel board???like i said in my first post i have a P-35 intel mobo!!! man dont brand India..:)
n obviously i have intel desktop utilities..ill monitor my PC from there..thank you!!
@dmill89
even i think 400w is a lil less for myPC..couple of others in my colleges pointed that out to me..ill get a 600w psu then!!!..which would bring me to another question..zebronics or coolermaster???
n abt the thermal paste...would arctic silver do??
thanx ppl!!
peace

y doubt if i have an Intel board???like i said in my first post i have a P-35 intel mobo!!! man dont brand India..:)
n obviously i have intel desktop utilities..ill monitor my PC from there..thank you!!
OK, there was no offense intended. Most people are referring to their chipset, since Gigabyte and perhaps Asus are much more popular with enthusiasts, With Intel tending to lock down their BIOSes to make them "hobbist proof". I understand this is changing, but for the time being, Gigabyte seems to have our best interests more at heart. Plus the colors are way, way prettier. Don't say that that doesn't matter

Just to show you my heart's in the right place, I'll even admit to owning an Intel board at one time, and also a Foxconn, which so I've been told is the company who manufactures Intel's boards, but they don't bother with the child proofing in their own offerings. Plus by going with a Foxconn, you are eliminating the middleman, as it were.

For the record, I don't actually look at peoples profiles unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm an equal opportunity abuser. But, since you've given me the name, we might as well play the game.

If the new PSU doesn't solve your heating problems, you might try moving to Tibet. India tends to be a bit hot for personal computing, what with the overcrowding, and the lack of air conditioning. Personally I think India's gone downhill since it's no longer a British colony.

And BTW, I have no intention whatsoever of buying, renting, watching, or discussing, "Slum Dog Millionaire". I've heard rumors that it's "uplifting". The reason being, for something to uplift me, I would have to care in the first place. So I pass. Also, the only reason I Watched "Bend it like Beckham", was for Keira Knightley.

Does any of that brand India to your continued dissatisfaction?

You know I'm just funning with you here, don't you?:D:wave:

Moving on to the tech assist portion of the program.

Allow me another apparently stupid question. If you were already using IDU, why did you feel it necessary to run Speed Fan also. Did you think that IDU was lying to you? Did you think that that Intel was branding you? Did you think that because Intel is a huge corporation, that even their software automatically is set to lie to you?

Now, I don't know if you consider me worthy to answer your tech questions, (since you pointed those at someone else). But I'll take another chance at incurring your wrath. I enjoy basking in wrath anyway.
Cooler Master, no. Zebronics, WTF? Maybe Corsair, or PC Power and Cooling. As to thermal compound, Arctic Silver is considered the "gold standard", if you'll pardon the pun

Here's a link to Antec's PSU calculator page; http://www.antec.outervision.com/ this is one of the best I've seen. But keep in mind that the PSU you already have, would need to actually deliver it's rated power for it to be adequate for your current rig. It's the quad core CPU, they're power hogs. An honest 400 watts might be enough for a dual core CPU while running a 9600GT, but barely. I think you should reflect on and optimize your case ventilation also, you seem to want to run the machine hard, so it wouldn't hurt

lol..so u werent branding India after all huh???nice one there...
all i thought that when u meant there isnt Intel here i thought u were telling me we guys are cheapskates!!!well for ur information we are not..
n i personally dont plan to move to Tibet as i dont wanna end up being under chinese rule!!!(those guys make fake stuff..)..
n u personally think India was better when it was a british colony??LOL..like u would know!!!!u talk like some 80 year old..i dunno where ur from n i dont care abt that..as i dont make assumptions on the basis of somebody's region or religion!!! well Indian people actually use there minds and not outsource stuff!!LOL!!! sorry for being able to use our minds to their potential!!!!
n im sorry if i look like my "wrath is on u"..NO offense intended,,
n please dont term Indians on the basis of some weird *** movie such as slumdog..its one aspect of india..nothing else..
and as for 'bend it like beckham'..that was kiera's first movie so dont gimme the crap u watched it for her..like u even knew her!!!..so i hope u would grow out of ur childish cocoon and talk tech..
i request that from now on!!!thanx..
n the reason i asked dmill abt the thermal paste and PSU was becoz he pointed that out..no other reason..i wasnt offended by ur earlier post..although the second one was a bit to arrogant of u!!!so next time if u term India in a funny way..u might as well face my wrath(im really sorry for sounding rude..but i didnt initiate it!!)
so leaving the crap behind..n moving on..
wat should i exactly look for in the IDU as a measure of performance...
i also put my PC back again..and putting the processor back!!it was a wobbly the last time!!
well ill take ur advice and buy corsair..although i checked some tech mags which terms zebronics as good enough!!!
and thank you for the link to arctic silver!!!appreciated!

i would also like to ask abt the problem i faced..my monitor would go blank but my CPU would keep running fine!!do u think this is also heating related??

and abt the ventilation part..i already have one fan in it..as tedster pointed out wid the muffin fans..should i get them or liquid cooling is better???
im not much of a hardcore user..mostly downloading and stuff!!although i do play games such as crysis which require the best of PC performance!!!so please advise if i should go into liquid cooling..(which to me sounds a lil outlandish)
thanx a lot..again..
peace
ps..@captaincranky..
i would personally advise u not to watch slumdog..its pathetic..tc..

Ma Durn Back Went Out Back in '83...............!

If your video card is overheating that might explain the blank screen, Although, it's hard to tell what the CPU is actually doing with no video output. The only thing you can tell is that the CPU fan is still running. The CPU fan is on the +12 volt tap, the CPU itself is not. Point being with no video you might not have other voltages, the only
thing you're sure of is 12V + and the fan will run on about only 5 volts or so.
You should do what you said you were going to do first, and treat yourself to a beefier PSU. It may not even be the source of your problems, but it could be a problem of it's own.

You're the first person to even mention "Zebronics", (at least in a thread I've been involved with). So "WTF" actually is a technically oriented response, so actually I have no (and am not entitled ) to any opinion about one. As I said I don't read personal specs until it's really necessary, and I'm the the US, so I don't want to say something dumb such as "you can buy this xxxxx @ Newegg for xxxxx USD" since you can't obviously can't. One of our other members says that Cooler Master's very high end PSUs are well thought but not so for their lower lines. Their customer service brings sucks to new heights and so I won't do business with them if at all I can avoid it.

Your CPU HSF should certainly not "wiggle", and if it does, yeah, that's a problem.

Without being smart about location, it should be obvious that computers do much better when it's cooler. Selfish little devils, basically they'd like you to run an air conditioner just for them. We've been trying to determine if Intel designs their stock HSF units to require AC. We'll it hasn't actually come up, but it's a thought.

As to Keira Knightley, I began watching "Bend it Like Beckham", because I heard it was a hit, but finished watching it because of her. That should squash your "first movie" theory. I dunno if it's her flat chest, flat a**, six pack abs, buck teeth, or ****ney accent that send me over the moon. Well, it's probably all of the foregoing. Anyway, WOW! Catch her in "King Arthur" if you get the chance.

You're right though, I'm old, (nowhere near 80 though). But I'm fairly certain that there's quite a bit more wrong with me than simple old age.

8 Academy Awards is either a absolutely must see movie, or the kiss of death. There's not much going on in the middle.

Footnote: Since the website censored it, I was referring to Keira's lower class London inner city accent.

lol...well i dunno if i shld talk tech wid u or kiera's bod???lol..well i have watched king arthur..she looked fine in it..but i would have preferred she didnt do the movie as her already manly frame become even more muscular..she could have given orlando bloom run for his money if compared!!!lol..
well wat u told abt the voltage made a hot of sense..as i checked the minimum voltage i would require and also the respective stuff..so i guess bigger PSU should do the trick!!!and corsair it is then!!!!
well that should end my woes!!!!
thanx a lot everybody...ill hit u guys back if nething else turns up..
peace
ps..8 academy awards???i dunno..they mean lil when deciding a movie i would like..loved iron man and dark knight..and they didnt garner as much awards!!!:)

"Shia-vere............Mistress of Camelot....

lol...well i dunno if i shld talk tech wid u or kiera's bod???lol..well i have watched king arthur..she looked fine in it..but i would have preferred she didnt do the movie as her already manly frame become even more muscular..she could have given orlando bloom run for his money if compared!!!lol..
Well OK, First, I think that "manly" is sort of harsh for the lovely Keira. I'd compromise at "teenage boyish" though. Now, if Orlando Bloom had worn that leather tube top and painted himself blue, who knows what rush that would have given me. Actually, my instincts are telling me that Shia LeBoeuf would have made a better Guinevere than either one of them

Here are stateside links to a couple of PSUs that should be suitable. I know you can't buy them from here, but a least you can look at them through the window, so to speak.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...GNEFL031709-_-PowerSupplies-_-LH3A-_-17139001 and a PC Power and Cooling unit;http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...GNEFL031709-_-PowerSupplies-_-LH3B-_-17703005
thanx a lot everybody...ill hit u guys back if nething else turns up..
peace
You're quite welcome
ps..8 academy awards???i dunno..they mean lil when deciding a movie i would like..loved iron man and dark knight..and they didnt garner as much awards!!!:)
Downey's a Hollywood bad boy, so no Oscar for him, and Heath Ledger did grab best supporting actor. It seems to me like hysteria when a movie gets that many awards. I think a lot of movies have a lot to recommend them, but I can't think of one I'd give that many Oscars to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back