Heatsink Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shadowrane

I'm looking to upgrade my heatsink on my AMD 64 X2 4400 from the stock one. As the 4400 hundred is a socket 939 processor, can i get any heatsink that it compatible with 939? Or do i need to makle sure its compatible with X2's? Everywhere i go, it just lists the Athlon 64 and 64 FX, but never the X2.

Sry for the noobish question, but i just dont want to order one and find out it wont even fit :dead: And does anyone have any recommendations on a good heatsink for an X2?

The Zalman CNPS9500 is really nice too, I use it at 5v and it still runs this computers ClawHammer 3500+@2.65ghz under 60°C at full load...

I won't be worried about the pressure on the CPU.

What I'll be worried about is the pressure on the motherboard. It has to carry such a heavy load.

I'm also quite sure those heatsinks don't comply with most motherboard's max weight specifications, so if you install one of those, you'd have ot be very careful moving your case around....

Haha yeah, thats what i was worried about too. I dont want the heatsink ripping the motherboard off or anything :dead: But i havent been able to find many lightweight, small heatsinks that work as good as the bigger and more heavy ones....

Guess i'll just stick with the stock AMD one until i have need of better cooling. And i've looked into water cooling and it just seems way over my head lol :haha: theres no way i could assemble it properly.

a question and suggestion
how bout a heat pipe type heatsink that will carry the heat to outside case radiator
I have seen them on imbedded boards
and smaller ones for laptops they may make one for that cpu
so if anyone has seen them give us a heads up

I don't recommend water cooling.

something about water and electronics that just don't get along well together.
leaks happen.

first of all you don't use regular water. you use non-conductive coolants (distilled water works fine).

secondly, if you build it right (or buy a quality pre-made kit) then leaks don't happen.

When done properly, water cooling is no more risky than air cooling

Shadowrane said:
I'm looking to upgrade my heatsink on my AMD 64 X2 4400 from the stock one. As the 4400 hundred is a socket 939 processor, can i get any heatsink that it compatible with 939? Or do i need to makle sure its compatible with X2's? Everywhere i go, it just lists the Athlon 64 and 64 FX, but never the X2.

Sry for the noobish question, but i just dont want to order one and find out it wont even fit :dead: And does anyone have any recommendations on a good heatsink for an X2?

As long as it supports FX s939 then, you should be good to go.

Edit: didn't read everyones comment. Also Mictlantecuhtli those things are beastys.

Most HSFs are fine, just that they weigh a little more than you'd like them to. Just don't move them around too much, thats about it.

There's some great copper cooling around, which pair up beautifully with a huge fan (with the right converters). I prefer those to the ones with fans built into them. Currently using a Tt golf 325 coupled with a Tt UFO, but on hindsight it would've been better to get a 120mm fan on that (using an 80-120mm converter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back