Help deciding on a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

algoespanol

I'm looking to get a laptop to basically replace my desktop PC. I really like the macbook pro, but I don't have the kind of money to buy it, and I'm not a big fan of apple or macs. I have also looked at HP, the pavilion dv5t series with the intel core 2 duo 8600 (2.4 Ghz), the 1680 x 1050 display (is the infinity screen nice?), 3GB memory, 512MB 9600 GT, 250 GB HDD. Here's the link if you want to see it http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...Versatile+performance&series_name=dv5t_series . These are really the only two I've looked at so far. I spend a lot of time online, and will also probably be doing some light gaming, and a lot of music and movies. I'd like to be in about the $1300 range when I'm done (although less is better). Any input would be great. Thanks.

Your link doesn't work, although from the specs it doesn't look too bad. It'd be better going for one with an 8600 series video card, since it'd be cheaper and more suited to light gaming.

I'd go with the recommended configuration and go with the 9600GT, plus the 160GB 7200RPM drive. Everything else can remain the way it is. It'd be able to do everything you want and stay within your budget too. I wouldn't recommend upgrading anything else, except maybe the RAM if you want, since the extra price would not get you too much extra performance.

It looks like more of an aesthetic option than anything else IMO. Go for it if you can afford it, but I doubt it'd make much of a difference.

From the workshops end experience, I see too many HPs. Very few Acers, hardly any Samsung or Sony. Personally would only by samsung or acer.

I have heard very bad things about HP too... both from unfortunate owners and from guys working in workshops. I own a brand new Toshiba Satellite which was working quite well until last week and a number of BSODs I'm in the process of debugging but I'd still recommend Toshiba or Sony over HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back