Help fix my laptop, extremely slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbc1989

Although I've updated my memory from 1 to 2 gigs, cleared out a lot of unnecessary programs, my laptop, DELL e1405 has been running slower and slower in terms of reboot times and general opening and loading programs.

here are the logs.

Sorry about the delay! There are more infected systems than helpers. I'm checking your logs now. Will post back shortly.

The reason the system is slow is because so many programs and processes are loading at Startup.
The following programs were running when you scan with HijackThis. None of them need to start on boot and if they did, they are running in the background using the RAM:
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe>> does not need to run from boot.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE>> associated with Microsoft Windows process debugging system.
How to Turn Off the Machine Debug Manager
If you run Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later, you can turn off the Machine Debug Manager by turning off script debugging. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Click to select the Disable script debugging check box, and then click OK.
5. Close Internet Explorer.
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe>> for Dell Power Management Module.
C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe>> Service to allow non-admin users to access CD/DVD devices.
C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe>> belongs to the Alcohol 120% DVD/CD emulation and burning software. This software adds network drive sharing via the iSCSI protocol.
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Stardock\SDMCP.exe>> Monitor it's activity, has some excessive CPU processing,
C:\Program Files\Lock My PC 4\lockpc.exe>> a tool for quick computer locking when you leave it unattended.
I have given you a short description of each program. You should be able to find most on the Startup Menu using msconfig and UNCHECK from there:
Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without the quotes> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK the process for each program> Apply> OK.

NOTE: when you change the Startup menu and reboot, you will get a nag message that you can ignore and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

If, when you reboot, any of the program reappear, do this:
Right click on Start> Explore> Programs> Find each program and click to Open> find the setting for Startup and uncheck.

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan.*Check* the boxes next to all the entries listed below. (again I have given you some info about the entries. They are legitimate, but not correct as shown)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - (no file)>> (FlashGet)
O3 - Toolbar: BLINGO - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-DDF9-F165B897FA7D} - C:\PROGRA~1\blingo\blingo.dll
As of March 27, 2008, Blingo switched to using a combination of Yahoo!, Live Search, and Ask.com for its results instead of Google. Results are now a combination of sponsored and genuine results, with very little distinction between the two. The result is a search engine that functions more like an advertisement than a search.
In addition, multiple users have reports extremely poor customer service when contacting Blingo regarding prizes. Others report that Blingo staff seems suspicious of large referral lists.
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {381FFDE8-2394-4f90-B10D-FC6124A40F8C} - (no file)
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL,wbsys.dll,avgrsstx.dll acaptuser32.dll
GOEC62~1.DLL is related to Google Desktop software.
wbsys.dll is a WindowBlinds from Stardock.Net, Inc
avgrsstx.dll is related to the AVG Free antivirus software.
acaptuser32.dll is a part of 3D Capture software. Manufacturer: Adobe Systems, Inc.
About AppInit: All the DLLs that are specified in this value are loaded by each Microsoft Windows-based application that is running in the current log on session. You have 5 loading- the only one that is needed is avgrsstx.dll . You may have to open the other programs and/or take the off of Startup.
O20 - Winlogon Notify: fsp_lmwl - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\fsp_lmwl.dllFDE8-2394-4f90-B10D-FC6124A40F8C} - (no file)>>(f sp_lmwl.dll is a fsp_lmwl belonging to Lock My PC from FSPro Labs)
Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Close HiJackThis and reboot.

When the above has been completed, see if the speed has increased. To gain more:
Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK everything EXCEPT:
AVG processes
ZoneAlarm (zlclient.exe & vsmon.exe)
SynTPEnh.exe (touchpad for the laptop)
This will be basically all the 04 entries in HijackThis except those above.

Apply> OK> Reboot> Check and close nag message.

Question: you have 4 different connections listed:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Comcast
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = http://proxy.lib.berkeley.edu:7777/proxy.pac
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 132.239.17.225:3128>> University of California, San Diego
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
These are acceptable if the URL is your homepage, search engine or ISP. If it is not, it should be removed.

Let me know if you notice a difference.

[/B]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back