HELP,I changed my cpu and think I killed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaser261

I just changed my cpu from a Pentium 2.0 to a Pentium 2.8. It worked good for about an hour , then froze. I shut it down and rebooted, but it goes as far as the XP page then goes black. In setup it says it is 127 degrees F. My mobo is an MSI MS-6580 10A, buss clock 100 mhz. The Newegg # for the cpu is 19-116-215.
I am throwing myself at the mercy of all those that are wise. I have meddeled in things that I don't understand. Please Help

Did it come with a heatsink and fan?? If so did you fit it properly??

Please explain how you fitted it and exactly what you did!!!!!

I reused the old heatsink and fan. I cleaned it with alchohol, used arctic silver and replaced it. Then plugged in the fan

A heatsink for a 2ghz isn't really adequate for a 2.8ghz i suspect!!!!

If you gently twist the heatsink, is there much movement??? I.e. is it tight enough??

It may also be wouth you clearing your cmos, your mobo manual will explain how to do it!!!!

Thanks for your help Rik. I took out the new cpu and replaced it with the original. It works fine. The new one had good contact with the sink(fully covered in A/S) the heat sink is a huge piece of aluminum with alot of tall fins and a full size fan on top. The way that the fan and sink is held in place on my mobo makes it impossible to use a different cooling set up.
Not sure what to do about the new cpu, I had originally picked it up to upgrade my pc and use my old cpu to build a new pc for my kid . But can't afford the h/d,ram,ando/s to put in the new ASUS barebones case I just got.
Anyway, thanks for helping a noob.

There are plenty of after market heat sinks that should fit your system fine!!!!

They often don't cost very much either!!!!

I doubt if you killed the cpu, they (p4 cpus) will stop functioning by design if overheated but will be ok afterwards. A new hsf might be in order, and maybe looking into any shutdown temp settings you may find in bios. If the shutdown temp, if any, is too low this will happen.

Yeah, the problem may be that the mobo is set to shut down lower than that 2.8 runs at. 127F is only 52C, so the processor should still be fine. If you don't see anything in the bios about changing the temp, you may need to update the bios to add functionality for the new chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back