help in choosing gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be the first computer I have ever bought. I was always a console kinda guy, but have decided to switch over to PCs.

Just wanted your guys opinion on the rig I am buying. Here are the specs.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe nForce 590-SLI MCP Chipset
2 Gigs RAM Corsair
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX
320 GB HD 7200 RPM 16 mb cache
2 sony Dual Format 18x DVD/CD drives
Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan
650 watt power supply

if you guys have any advice that would be great. thanks

Take a look at www.tomshardware.com and www.anandtec.com for starters. Read all you can there, as the information is very good. Then look at the relevant sites on this forum, which are also excellent. You can find the stuff you need with a search of the various links.
You might want to pickup a copy of GamerPC and MaximumPC off your local grocery store magazine rack.
Then do Google searches on video graphics cards. Most of what you need to know revolves around video graphics cards, power supplies, memory, and to a certain extent, hard drives.
Now take a long hard look into that wallet and bank account... figger your car payment and the expensive person you date, and what clothes you will need this fall.
When you really feel you know what you know and what you do not know, you are ready to start.

I would go with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 or better. I would ditch the ASUCKS (ASUS) and get an eVGA board. Also the video card should be made by eVGA as they are the best, and the HDD I would get a seagate.

for gaming shouldn't i stick with AMD 64 X2 6000+ rather than a Intel Core Duo E6600. won't the AMD run smoother in games?

No the Intel's peformance whoops AMD's at the currect moment.

This generation of AMD chips were a failure, to some extent. They're great if you only have $600 to spend on a PC.

won't a dual core @ 2.4 ghz still have trouble running games like oblivion since it is only designed to really use one processor?

Not all games are designed to use both cores of a c2duo but nonetheless all cores are used, just not simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back