Help in setting up two routers on DMZ mode

Hi,

I decided to get a better router than using my ISP supplied modem/router. Thus I am not interested in using my new router as access point nor bridge mode. I prefer having two internet accessible routers. :)

Hardware:-
1) Main ISP supplied Modem router: ZTE ZHXN H108N V2.5 IP address is 192.168.254.254 (ISP supplied modem router)

2) Secondary router: TP Link AC2300 IP address is 192.168.0.1 (router).

ISP broadband connection is through PPPoE.

Planned set up:

ISP Modem/Router (ZTE ZHXN H108N) LAN port ---->connect through DZM mode --->2nd router (TP-Link AC2300) WAN port

Router 1 (Main ISP supplied Modem router ZTE)

WAN IP Address: xx.xx.1xx.xxx (default by ISP)

LAN Setup
LAN IP Address: 192.168.254.254 (default by ISP)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (default by ISP)
DHCP: ON
DHCP Range:192.168.254.100 to 192.168.254.200 (default by ISP)

WIFI: OFF

NAT: ON (Guessing here. Not sure if it will cause double NAT issues. Please comment.)

UPnP: ON
WAN Connection: (what to put?)
Advertisement Period (in minutes): not sure what is this?
Advertisement Time to Live (in hoops): not sure what is this?

DMZ Setup : ON
WAN Connection: (what to put?)
DMZ Host IP Address: 192.168.0.10 (router 2 IP Address is that correct?)
MAC : ON

Port Forwarding: Have to setup or not?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Router 2 (TP-Link AC2300)

WAN IP Address: 192.168.254.254 (Guessing here to use Router 1 IP address)
Gateway: 192.168.254.254
Primary DNS Server: 192.168.254.254

Static IP on WAN Port: 192.168.0.10 (correct or not? Does it have to be the same as the LAN IP Address?)

LAN Setup
LAN IP Address: 192.168.0.10 (is this correct?)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: ON
DHCP Range:192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200

WIFI: ON

NAT: ON (Guessing here. Not sure if it will cause double NAT issues. Please comment.)

UPnP: ON

FIREWALL: IPv4 IPv6: ON

Internet Connection: through Static IP

====================================

Question:
1) Do I enable the DHCP on BOTH the main modem/router (ie the ZTE ZHXN H108N) and secondary router (TP Link AC2300)? Will it conflict each other? What range should I put on both? Does it have to be very different IP address range?

2) Will connecting two routers caused double NAT? Will that even be an issue?

3) How about Voip? Will it be effected?

4) How about the UPnP? Do I enable it on both or none?

5) What internet connection type do I choose on the secondary router TP Link AC2300 since it offered 5 types (Dynamic IP, Static IP, PPPoE, L2TP and PPTP)?

7) Should I turn off the wireless radio on the ISP modem/router (ZTE)?

8) Is there two static IPs in a router? One for WAN and one for LAN? If so, how do I set it up for both router 1 (ISP supplied modem router ZTE) and router 2 (TP Link)

Thanks in advance.

Your first issue will be Will your ISP provide to unique WAN side addresses? Normally not without and extra fee. It is rare that a home user needs to fully independent public addresses.

My guess on your choice of a DMZ setup is this is how you envision getting two addresses to work. A DMZ is a special animal and without know-how, you expose every device connected to it to direct attacks from the Internet.

Hi Jobeard,

Do you mean I need static IP in order to be able to set up DMZ mode?

I have tried bridge mode be somehow the ISP issued modem router does not save the settings. I am not sure why. Here's a screen video that I made of this problem.

Hi Jobeard,

Do you mean I need static IP in order to be able to set up DMZ mode?

I have tried bridge mode be somehow the ISP issued modem router does not save the settings. I am not sure why. Here's a screen video that I made of this problem.

WARNING: You should be prepared for this to not work and take a backup of your router settings accordingly!

I suspect that you have to delete the entry that's already there; it probably doesn't like that there are two WAN connections configured.

Bridge mode (on the ISP modem connection) to your router IS NOT A DMZ, but certainly looks and acts as if it were.

Ignoring the second ISP for the moment, you can set the modem into bridge mode, connect it to the WAN port on the router and your devices then to the router LAN ports.

The Wan side will then be a public IP address assigned by the ISP (and need not be a static nor purchased domain. The LAN side will still be a NAT private network.

I think their initial post meant bridge mode; I hope no one would want to use DMZ for their home devices unless absolutely necessary.

Back