Help me to wisely select a new graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

am21

my specs

Intel core 2 duo E7300

DG31PR Mobo
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DG31PR/DG31PR-overview.htm

Nvidia 8600GT (Not the actual one, some Chinese fake card which is equivalent to 8400gs)

i didn't use this pc for almost an year and most of the time this pc is under utilized specifically for things like basic word editing and cd burning. now i have an idea to upgrade it and play gta 4 (not a serious gamer.. just for some occasional gaming) so most of the time i will be sticking with my laptop..

so wht sort of gfx upgrade is most ideal for me ? eg:- i can afford up to HD 4850 but if i can play it well on a cheaper card it will be an advantage. btw i might also need a psu upgrade since the one i'm using is a generic brandless one :D

Please advice. Thanks

Yes you will need to upgrade your power supply.

Now frankly, you won't really be running GTA4 too well on a $120 budget, while the 4850 is strong enough, you have to throw in a power supply into your budget too. Just as a side note, your processor is decent, I think it could be worth investing about $180 for a CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail and a XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail.

Yes you will need to upgrade your power supply.

Now frankly, you won't really be running GTA4 too well on a $120 budget, while the 4850 is strong enough, you have to throw in a power supply into your budget too. Just as a side note, your processor is decent, I think it could be worth investing about $180 for a CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail and a XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail.

btw HD 4850 will cost me around $105 if it's 4670 around $70

is there any cheaper alternative suggestions for psu ? $80 or less

what do you think about this one ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171028

I head that HD 4670 can be used with generic psu since it has the ability to draw power from the pci express slot without the need of an additional 6 pin connector. Also performance wise it is somewhat similar to HD 3870 (recommended spec for gta4) so will it be a good option ?

Saphire Radion HD 4670 512MB DDR4 $57

You get what you pay for both the 4850 and 4670 are good cards for their cost, and I would have to recommend staying away from generic power supplies.

You get what you pay for both the 4850 and 4670 are good cards for their cost, and I would have to recommend staying away from generic power supplies.

isn't $57 a value for money deal ?

sapphire 512MB DDR4 scores 9500 in 3d mark 06 test where as a 8600GT scores only 6000 (50% gain)

i just checked youtube and saw many people play gta 4 without a sweat using 8600GT with medium settings.. actually i don't mind playing at lower resolution as long as it is playable.

I don't know if you understand what I meant.
Both the 4850 and 4670 are good values for their respective price ranges, just the 4850 is a class above the 4670, meaning it will perform much better.
Also, I still think that you will likely need a new power supply.

I don't know if you understand what I meant.
Both the 4850 and 4670 are good values for their respective price ranges, just the 4850 is a class above the 4670, meaning it will perform much better.
Also, I still think that you will likely need a new power supply.

so what do you think about cooler master extreme power 550w psu ? it comes with dual 12v rails with 20A each :)

Well, cooler master power supplies are not too great in general.
If you are planning on a 4850, the BFG tech 550 that Ritwik7 posted is minimum.
However for the 4670, you can go with it if you want, however I would consider the Antec Earthwatts 380, it doesn't look like newwegg has one at the moment though.

Well, cooler master power supplies are not too great in general.
If you are planning on a 4850, the BFG tech 550 that Ritwik7 posted is minimum.
However for the 4670, you can go with it if you want, however I would consider the Antec Earthwatts 380, it doesn't look like newwegg has one at the moment though.

i must check the prices and then consider brands like corsair, ocz, antec, seasonic, bfg, silversone etc ? btw i'm staying in malaysia :)

i must check the prices and then consider brands like corsair, ocz, antec, seasonic, bfg, silversone etc ? btw i'm staying in malaysia
Sorry what are you asking?
Are you planning on buying a 4850 or 4670?

Sorry what are you asking?
Are you planning on buying a 4850 or 4670?

well.. since cooler master is nt a good brand i will try to focus on getting a better brand.. yes i knw psu will be a better investment in the long run if i can get it with at least 4 years warranty. btw hd4850 will be my preferred choice as a psu upgrade is already in my list. :)

@ am21 - I thought the BFG Tech I linked to was 550W and better value or money than the 400W Silverstone you're getting.

@Ritwik7 - BFG is not widely available here in the local market :(

@ hellokitty[hk] - Corsaire is slightly overpriced here compared to Silverstone.

finally i bought a new psu + gfx card.

ATI HD4670 1GB version

PSU specs:

Epsilon 80PLUS 450 true power out put
quad +12v rails with 18A each

ps:- didn't even bother to test my new gfx card with the old psu.. hehe

so far everything is stable.. :)

Oh

Yes that looks good :grinthumb

igajbo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.