Help! my PC crashed and it wont reboot, the error message is i8042 is corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunholmes

Hi everyone

My system is a dell dimension 3100, P4, 80GB hard drive and 1.25GB of ram.the system is 3 years old.

i hope some one can help me with this problem. About 10 days ago i stupidly in error compressed some of my system files, the next time i tried to boot windows it kept giving me strange error codes " floppy diskette not found" "drive 1 not found" i went into bios and turned the culprits off and rebooted, all i got was a flashing "-" in the top left hand corner of the screen. I will say at this point that i dont have a floppy drive, and there isn't a disk 1 input on the mother board.

i have trawled through the teccy websites and cannot find a answer to this problem, so far i have replaced the sata cable, the cmos battery and changed the bios by turning off the floppy and drive 1, i have unplugged everything from the motherboard and checked the connections.

I then used my XP cd that came with the pc to try and repair/recover the files but it loads as far as video files and then i get the error message

The file i8042.sys is corrupted.

I am truly stuck now, the only thing i can think of regading the boot disk is that it is probably service pack 2 and my current configuration is service pack 3, would this make a diference?.

I would ieally like to recover the files on the hard drive so would appreciate any comments or help please.

Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long winded post and i look forward to some suggestions soon.

Regards to you all

Shaun Holmes

I

Step 1. Recover those files! See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

also, fyi.... you will need an SP3 installation CD if you later decide you want to do a Windows repair. You can create your own SP3 CD using a process called "slipstreaming" (see this link)

The only gotcha in slipstreaming tho is it doesn't always work if you have an OEM disk (e.g. from HP or Dell) vs. using one direct from MS

thanks LookingAround

iv'e downloaded the disk, but it wouldn't let me run chkdsk/r only chkdsk, i have done this and the message at the end of the scan was "this drive contains 1 or more errors" could you tell me where i go from here please.

Btw thankyou, this is the furthest i have been with this problem, i really appreciate your time.

shaun

Code:
chkdsk /r
Did you put a blank after chkdsk (and before /r)?

And we're all glad to help when and how we can :)

How about trying out Puppy Linux 4.3 is a small iso. Difficult to use at first but you can create another partition using GParted if you have enough free space, copy all your docs to the new partition. Doing a clean install or repairing XP is up to you. If your interested I'll guide you through.

thanks once again LookingAround, no i didn't put a space in, i have now and i'll let you know the results, although it is 3.20 am here so i may post the results when i get up in 4 hrs.

thanks for the suggestion WINXPERT, i have to tell you that i'm not very technical, more of a ludite to be honest but if this process does not work i would like to try your way too!!

regards

Shaun

Hi WinXPert

Don't get me wrong.... you've had lots of good input in several threads that i've seen to date... but in this case... how is that solution better/easier then simply
1) Download, burn Knoppix
2) Boot
3) Then simply plug in a USB drive and copy/paste one's personal data to physically separate media before trying to repair the drive???

Hi shaunholmes

OK.. get some sleep! i'll be checking back in when i get up in (my) morning! (is only 9:28pm here now)

Hope we can this part resolved easy.

Morning / evening

Right i left the scan running and iv'e come and checked the pc this morning, it appears that the chkdsk /r was succesfull, the message read " 1 or more errors have been fixed" great!

I have now tried to restart with no cd and now i get a message that says "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM."
it also states that i can attempt to fix the file with the original setup cd, this i have tried but i get the same error as before. i8042prt.sys is corrupted.
I am going to attempt to streamline XP sp3 this morning on to my original cd, this is not an MS cd, but one i received from dell, as you have already said that this does not normally work i don't hold out much hope but i will attempt it, i will let you know how i go.

Once again thanks for your support

Shaun

chkdsk fixed errors on the disk filesystem. great!

But, to be safe, i would complete the second step in the post i gave you. i.e. next, boot into Knoppix and then save your personal files to a USB disk (unless you already have a backup of your data safely tucked away?)

And then you can try to fix the disk while comfortably knowing all your data is safe.

The message you now get implies the Windows registry is corrupted. So you might also look here How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

/* edit */
Tho now i remember you "compressed several system files" so a repair may end up the best bet - if you can beg/borrow or create your own SP3 CD! Tho in worst case, if you have all your files backed up you could then still use your SP2 CD to do a clean reformat and reinstall. But we should talk more before you get to that point

Hi again LookinAround

mmm back up !! its one of those things that ludites like me never seem to get round to, it's not until your pc health takes a nose dive that back up becomes relevent, iv'e learnt my lesson !!

Right, i have looked at the dell website and from what i can gather, my operating system is an OEM, ( never heard of that term until today ) which therefore means that i cannot slipstream my XP SP2 disk, is that right ? So i believe my only course of action is to get myself a XP SP3 disk from somewhere and try and repair the registry problem.

I have sent an email to Dell to ask if they could send me one and i await a reply. In the meanwhile i will try and find an SP3 disk from somewhere.
Should i try and slipstream the disk anyway? will i ruin the disk in the attempt?
it seems that the SP2 disk i have is only useful if i want to format the drive and re-install windows, which of course would mean total data loss :-(

i do not have any external hard drive at present so transfering the files would be a problem, if there is no other way of retrieving the data then i would go out and buy myself an external hard drive .... i know, i know i should get one anyway so that i could back up my files.

anyways let me know your thoughts LookinAround,

Thanks once again for taking the time to help

Shaun

Re: Backups
Yea, a good backup drive should be considered part of the investment when buying a computer so one's not desperately worried about losing their data when the computer crashes (or is virus infected). (And odds are.. at some point, it happens to everyone)

My own advice:
1) Get a drive that comes with its own A/C adapter. (Drives that only have USB cable rely on power from USB port which can sometimes also be faulty)
2) I've had very good track record with drives from Buffalo Technologies and they're stuff is very reasonably priced compared to others

Re: SP3 disk

I understand Dell in the US stopped distributing SP3 disks here in the States several months ago (I had an argument with them over the phone about it!). But see if you have better luck by you (the UK i'm guessing??)

You might also try slipstreaming (isn't too much effort to try). Worst that happens is it tells you it fails (but is also a chance it might work)

OK. Was just checking....
and btw.. are you running XP Pro or Home? (don't recall if you might have said already)

Most of the Dell 3000 series have Maxtor, Hitachi, or Samsung drives that are failure prone... and the 3000's are now 3 and 4 years old... which means they have reached the end of their useful product life anyway...
If you have not replaced the drive, you have more trouble coming. Soon.
You might try a Seagate or Western Digital, or the New Samsung... The costs are way, way down now... and the benefits are tremendous when you get a head of the coming full failure.

Hi Raybay

Thanks for your comments, my pc has a western digital 80GB hard drive and its been ok up to now, your'e right though, it is about time that i replaced the hard drive but the situation i'm in at the moment facilitates that i get an external drive because i think i need to do a clean install of XP! i need to get all my files and docs off the hard drive and from what i can gather it will be easier to transfer them to an external hard drive.

Bearing in mind that i'd never even opened a computer case until last week, i wouldn't feel comfortable installing a new drive at present with the risk of losing all my data, and to be honest i need somewhere to back my data to anyway :)

Have a good weekend, me i'm at home with my 3 daughters with the very real chance that i will have to take them shopping .... eeeeewwwwwwww lol

Hey there LookinAround

I'm running XP home. I woke this morning and decided that i will try and find myself an external hard drive and transfer ( if possible ) my files to it then format the hard drive and re-install XP, it does seem the most simplest way to retrieve this situation.

I have been looking last night at some possibilities and although i would love to buy an external hard drive with its own AC power, the costs wil probably dictate that i settle for the cheaper USB interface :-(

I have seen a Seagate 500GB drive that is around £50 which with my very limited knowledge seems to be a great buy.

I will take your advise and install Knoppix and try to recover the data that way, could you give me some idea as to what to expect when i boot it to the corrupted hard drive please?

You have been a great help the last couple of days, if youre ever in the cotswolds then pop in and i'll make you dinner ;-)

Regards

Shaun

morning / evening all

i have just reserved a seagate 500GB external hard drive at my local computer superstore, great price £47 with an idependent A/C power lead , but .... i have just thought, am i going to need any special downloads / drivers/ applications to transfer my files via knoppix? all the information i have read says that it is fully compatible with windows and will " plug and play "but quite a few people undoubtedly with much more technical knowledge than myself have found the process less than easy. Do i need to buy a specific "knoppix friendly" external hard drive ? .... update: (3rd actually) i have not been having much success downloading Knoppix been booted out twice once at 75mb and the other at 158mb, will try again.

Any advise would be appreciated ..

Shaun

Most of the Dell 3000 series have Maxtor, Hitachi, or Samsung drives that are failure prone... and the 3000's are now 3 and 4 years old... which means they have reached the end of their useful product life anyway...
If you have not replaced the drive, you have more trouble coming. Soon.
You might try a Seagate or Western Digital, or the New Samsung... The costs are way, way down now... and the benefits are tremendous when you get a head of the coming full failure.

IMHO: That's gross and negligent oversimplification and a damn lazy approach to a computer problem. Tho it's certainly an easy and profitable approach from a tech shop's point-of-view. (OH, did i mention that raybay has a tech shop?)

Kinda like telling a 60yr old it's time for a heart transplant because he's not feeling well and based on his age!@

Hi Shaun

Actually, an external USB drive with its own AC adapter is exactly what i had in mind (i use them myself for backups)

Running and using Knoppix should be fairly straight-forward (refer to the link back in my earlier post). But should you have any question/issue certainly feel free to ask.

So go ahead and try the data copy/backup. We should just talk a bit more before you're ready to do the reformat/reinstall

Thanks again LookinAround

As of yet i have not managed to download the knoppix application, i have tried for nearly 7 hrs today and each time it has finished it's download and verified that no bugs exsist and informs me that the download has finished. My first attempt lasted around 25 mins and downloaded 175ish mb, the download was supposed to be around 700 mb, i dont know if i did the right thing but i thought i would try the disk anyway (just in case) of course i got the start of the app but then followed by lots of error messages, since then i have been booted off 5 times at varying time's. I have not tried to use the disk again.

I will try and continue to download, but frankly i dont think it will happen, Its probably down to my wife's laptop which is old and slow and pretty much devoid of RAM (256mb i think) i have tried it on a freinds desktop with no luck as well

Are you confident that a seagate drive will be able to communicate with the knoppix OS?

I had a look at the Seagate website and they were saying that their drive's are not configured to work with Knoppis. I'm just a little hesitant as i want to make sure that i get the right drive

I will post again when i have the drive and iv'e tried the slipstreaming and the Knoppix download.

Have a good weekend everyone

Regards

Shaun

Let's review a couple things regarding the Knoppix download (re: the steps found in [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post])

1. The download is rather large so it might take your computer a long time (time also depending on how fast you can download)
2. You should be downloading the .iso file (as indicated in the directions) PLUS
3. You should also be downloading the MD5 file (this is pretty small and quick. Also per directions) AND
4. Use the HashTab tool (per directions) to verify the file was downloaded correctly. (Compare the MD5 hash values between the download using HashTab to calculate it vs. the MD5 value in the MD5 file you download. Numbers should be an exact match meaning the download was successful and the .iso file is correct)
5. AFTER verifying the MD5 hash value, you can burn .iso file to a CD and using the CD to boot your computer

It sounds like you may have tried to run the download file itself??? You need to burn the .iso file to CD, not try to run it.

Hint: If your computer is having problems downloading the file, it might be an issue with your network connection settings.
1. Open Device Manager. Click Start->Run, enter: devmgmt.msc
2. Look under the Network Adapters category for your network adapter device
3. Rt click Properties. Is there a Power Management tab?
> If yes, click it. Then uncheck the box so not to "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power"
4. Also check Control Panel->Power Options to make sure your power settings set to Never for everything (so they don't go to sleep)

How much free space does your HDD have? I recommended Puppy Linux 4.3 because its leaner 105Mb compared to Knoppix. I don't have an extenal USB drive so my practice is to create a partition on the HDD provided there is enough free space. But if you like Knoppix its your call.

To LookinAround, I get your point that what's simple for me doesn't mean it's simple for others. I'll take that into consideration on my next post. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back