Help on Nvidia drivers, Compiz Fusion for Linux 8.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty[hk]

I installed Linux 8.04 and tried to enable Compiz fusion and it didn't work. I did some googleing and found out you have to install the Nvidia proprietary drivers on for it to work. I tried and i could never get it to work, I had to repartition and i ended up reinstalling linux. Now, im on a fresh install of Linux and im again trying to enable compiz fusion and i need help :(. Im not that good with linux though :(.

Im running an Nvidia 9600gt, Core 2 duo, 24" moniter, 2 gigs of DDR2 900.

Also does anyone know the mouse settings that don't have interpolation? The ones that don't filter the mouse sensitivity? And also arn't there programs that let you emulate windows xp programs (Im dual booting) on linux? AND also im pretty sure theres a way to turn off the password authentication thing that pops up all the time...how do you do it?

I assume you mean Ubuntu 8.04? To get the proprietary driver working you simply need to enable the restricted driver for you graphics card. It should then work. If it doesn't you may want to try envy. This is a script that will download and install the driver for you.

Yeah ubuntu, and yeah, i think it was enabled. I don't remember. Ok i installed envy, ran it and im pretty sure I installed the drivers but i selected" manual" instead of "automatic hardware detection". I restarted went to system, administration, hardware drivers and it still says "no proprietory drivers are in use for this system. But when i started, the Nvidia logo did show up for a second, i think.

NVM!!!!!!!!!!
O.o nvm all that...It gave me a "Do you want to keep these settings" dialog instead of "Desktop effects could not be enabled" O.o my windows wiggle! I think it all worked!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

hellokitty[hk] said:
"no proprietory drivers are in use for this system"
This refers to the driver version that comes with Ubuntu, it is normal to say that it's out of use if you've downloaded and installed the proprietary drivers manually or used envy to do it.

This refers to the driver version that comes with Ubuntu, it is normal to say that it's out of use if you've downloaded and installed the proprietary drivers manually or used envy to do it.

O.o ok.
Is there a reason i only have 2 desktops? Also is it my computer or are the drivers not good? cuz im seeing weird artifacts sometimes when i use animations...

You can easily configure the panel to add more desktops if you wish.

Which animations are causing artifacts and what types of artifacts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back